close menu

4 reasons people don’t claim their tax refund

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Apr 12, 2012
  • It is estimated that 1 in 3 people who work or have worked in the UK are due tax back and there are literally million of Pounds lying at Home Office waiting to be claimed.

    Who wouldn’t want an average of £850 paid back to them?

    Why is this money not being claimed? We look at the top 4 reasons people don’t claim their tax rebates and offer some advice for claiming YOUR overpaid tax back!

    1. Rebates are for visitors and foreigners

    Many UK residents are under the mistaken impression that tax rebates are for foreigners who work in the UK for a short time. The truth is anyone who has worked in the UK could be due a tax rebate. These are a few of the reasons you may be entitled to apply for a tax refund:

    1. If you have paid Emergency Tax in the last 4 years
    2. If you’ve left the UK before the end of a tax year (6 April to 5 May)
    3. If you’ve had more than 1 employer in a tax year
    4. If you’ve worked for only part of a tax year
    5. If you have been on an incorrect Tax code at any point in the last 4 years
    6. If you’ve had two or more jobs concurrently

    If any of these apply to you, you may well have overpaid tax and be due a rebate!

    2. It is just not worth the effort

    Did you know that the average claimed back is in the region of £850? Don’t let a bit of paperwork put you off taking back what is rightfully yours. If you are properly prepared, then it needn’t be a cumbersome process, especially if you enlist the help of 1st Contact Tax Refunds, who work on a no refund – no fee policy! This is what you will need. It may seem like a lot, but once you’ve got your ducks in a row, the process is easy and you could have your money within a few weeks!

    • You will need to give exact information of the companies you have worked for in the previous 4 tax years.
    • You will need to supply P60’s and P45’s from these jobs.
    • If these cannot be obtained, you will then need to ask for a Statement of Earnings from the HR Department of the companies you worked for.
    • You will need to supply us with your National Insurance number.

    3. I don’t have the correct forms

    Many people have tried once to apply for a rebate, only to find that they don’t have a P60 or P45, and given up!

    If you don’t have P60’s or P45’s from your previous employers, a 1st Contact Tax Refund consultant can assist you by applying for these on your behalf. If you don’t have a National Insurance number, you will have to apply for and receive your NI number before you can claim back your overpaid tax – yes, a 1st Contact Consultant can help you with that too!

    4. It’s too late

    Many people assume that if they have not tried to claim tax back for the previous tax year, it’s too late. This is not true - you may claim your overpaid tax back for the previous 4 tax years, which could add up to quite a bit of money in your pocket!

    Use the Industry Leaders to claim your money back

    Here are some of the many reasons 1st Contact Tax Refunds are the best in the business and your best chance at receiving your money back with a minimum amount of hassle on your part:

    • Only 12.5 % commission on successful claims
    • We are the UK’s largest tax agent
    • We have 15 years experience in tax claim management
    • ATA accredited, providing maximum protection for your claim
    • Highly individualised service to customers with regular updates
    • Guarantee of a successful claim if you are due a refund
    • Avoid the admin hassle associated with managing your claim
    • No need to wait in queues at HMRC
    • We track the progress of your claim on your behalf

    Even with our efficient service and direct line to HMCR, it can take up to 6 weeks before you receive your hands on the pounds due to you.

    Call a 1st Contact Tax Refund Consultant on 0808 141 5503 as soon as possible - let’s get the ball rolling today!

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Man cutting coin with table saw
      10 cost saving ideas for your small business
      Nov 20, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Confused businessman
      Hiring your first employee for your UK business? This is how much it costs
      Oct 31, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • business plan
      Step-by-step guide to writing a business plan [template included]
      Aug 29, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • female-entrepreneur hot air balloon
      Why we need more women-owned businesses
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • crowdfunding lightbulb
      7 ways to finance your small business
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Businessman looking to the future
      How to get your business ready for the future
      Jun 19, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Guide to UK PAYE tax forms
      A guide to UK PAYE tax forms P45, P60 and P11D
      Jun 14, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Cut-taxes
      The 2019/20 tax year changes: What they mean for you
      Jun 10, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • confused
      Do you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return?
      May 29, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Tax refund money
      11 excellent ways to spend your UK tax refund
      Apr 09, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8844

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.