close menu

Am I due a tax refund?

by 1st Contact | Mar 14, 2014
  • HMRC holds over three million Pounds in unclaimed tax every year, most of it meant for people who assume they aren’t eligible for a tax refund. If you can answer yes to any of the questions below, there’s a good chance you’re due a tax refund.
    Tax refunds

    One in three people in the UK are due a tax refund

    If you can answer yes to any of these seven questions, there’s a good chance you’re due a tax refund too.

    1. Have you left the UK before the end of a tax year?
    2. Have you left a job and/or started a new job before the end of a tax year?
    3. Have you paid emergency tax in the last four years?
    4. Have you had more than one employer in a tax year?
    5. Have you worked for only part of a tax year?
    6. Have you been on an incorrect tax code at any point in the last four years?
    7. Have you worked two or more jobs concurrently?

    How to check if you’re due a tax refund

    • Call a 1st Contact Tax Refunds consultant on 0808 141 5503 to see if you can claim back any overpaid tax.
    • One of our consultants will ask you to provide information on the companies you worked for during the previous four tax years.
    • Supply P60s and P45s from these jobs (if you don’t have these, a 1st Contact Tax Refund consultant can apply for them on your behalf).
    • Your National Insurance (NI) number (if you don’t have an NI number, you can get one speedily through 1st Contact Easy NINO). 

    1st Contact Tax Refunds is one of the largest  registered tax agents in the UK. If you’d like to speak to a consultant, call 0808 141 5503 or send us an email.  

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Tax refund money
      11 excellent ways to spend your UK tax refund
      Apr 09, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • London-business
      The UK still the best country for business in 2019
      Apr 04, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Contractor choosing door
      Contractor insurance: Choosing the right cover for your risks
      Mar 12, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Making Tax Digital for VAT
      Making Tax Digital for VAT deadline: What you need to know before April 2019
      Feb 18, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Businessman-running
      Did you overpay HMRC? Here’s how to get your tax refund
      Feb 07, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Business
      Will 2019 be a good year for UK contractors? IR35 and the loan charge
      Jan 24, 2019  |  by Ashley Deakin
    • Business-concept
      Moving your business to the UK? You’ll need to understand the UK’s VAT regulations
      Nov 12, 2018  |  by Scott Brown
    • Autumn-statement-banner-no-logo-white
      Highlights from the 2018 Autumn Statement
      Oct 30, 2018  |  by Scott Brown
    • man-in-front-of-shop
      A quick guide to UK business tax
      Oct 26, 2018  |  by Scott Brown
    • working-man-contractor
      Self-employment vs. contracting in the UK: What’s the difference?
      Oct 11, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services License issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS License number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.