close menu

Are you entitled to limited company tax relief?

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Aug 06, 2014
  • If you're the director of a limited company, you could be missing out on vital tax relief. Here we explain some of the different allowances available to you, and how you can take advantage of them to reduce your tax bill.

    Before we begin, it's important to emphasise that you can only receive tax relief for business expenses that you have incurred wholly and exclusively for business purposes (HMRC provides guidance on this). You may not, for instance, claim relief on your regular clothing, simply because you need clothes whether or not you work. By the same token, you cannot expect tax relief if your employer or client has reimbursed you for an expense – for instance fuel to get to and from a contract. Below are some of the important reliefs that you might be able to claim in order to reduce your tax bill:

    1. Business mileage and fuel expenses

    While you may not claim for your normal commuting costs, you may be able to get tax relief for business mileage incurred when you use your own vehicle, pay for the fuel needed to conduct your business or get to a temporary place of work. You will need to keep any relevant records of dates, mileage and details of your business travel.

    2. Professional fees

    If you belong to certain approved organisations and bodies which help your business, you can ask for tax relief for the cost of these fees and subscriptions. This is possible if you have registered, obtained a licence or become a member of an HMRC-approved organisation that is necessary to your work.

    3. Specialist clothing

    You may be able to get tax relief for the cost of specialist clothing if this is required for your work, as long as you have paid for this clothing yourself. This could include overalls, gloves, work boots, protective helmets and uniforms that you are required to wear.

    If you must pay for the cost of repairing, cleaning or replacing this type of specialist clothing yourself and your employer doesn't reimburse you, then you are entitled to tax relief. However, you cannot claim for the initial cost of buying the clothing itself.

    4. Capital allowances

    You may also be able to get receive allowances to help with the cost of certain items required for your work. This is called capital expenditure and could include stationery like a filing cabinet, desk or computer equipment and is relevant only if you paid for it yourself and the item is necessary for you to do your work.

    5. Household expenses

    If you work from home, you could also enjoy relief for some household expenses, capital expenditure, and possibly travel expenses.

    There are many other types of tax relief you could get under the right circumstances. For more information on claiming limited company tax relief, view our limited company FAQs. For expert assistance specifically for limited companies, visit 1st Contact Accounting.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Man cutting coin with table saw
      10 cost saving ideas for your small business
      Nov 20, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Confused businessman
      Hiring your first employee for your UK business? This is how much it costs
      Oct 31, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • business plan
      Step-by-step guide to writing a business plan [template included]
      Aug 29, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • female-entrepreneur hot air balloon
      Why we need more women-owned businesses
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • crowdfunding lightbulb
      7 ways to finance your small business
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Businessman looking to the future
      How to get your business ready for the future
      Jun 19, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Guide to UK PAYE tax forms
      A guide to UK PAYE tax forms P45, P60 and P11D
      Jun 14, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Cut-taxes
      The 2019/20 tax year changes: What they mean for you
      Jun 10, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • confused
      Do you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return?
      May 29, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Tax refund money
      11 excellent ways to spend your UK tax refund
      Apr 09, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8844

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.