close menu

CGT extends to non-residents selling UK residential properties from 6 April 2015

by Mike Abbott | Mar 20, 2016
  • If you are a non-UK resident, you will need to inform HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) within 30 days of selling your UK residential property as Capital Gains Tax (CGT) may be due from 6 April 2015.
    CGT non-resident mortgages

    In May 2014, I examined how new CGT rules, first announced in Chancellor George Osborne's 2013 Autumn Statement, could affect non-resident property owners selling or disposing of their UK residential properties.

    In November 2014, HMRC officially announced that the changes will come into effect from 6 April 2015.

    The original motivation behind the extension of CGT to non-residents was, according to David Gauke, Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury, to equalise the playing field between UK residents and non-residents when it comes to the payment of CGT on non-primary residences:

    “Britain is an open country that welcomes investment from all over the world…However, the government does not believe that it is right that UK residents pay Capital Gains Tax when they sell a home that is not their primary residence, while non-residents do not.”

    For non-residents, what this means is that they will now be charged CGT based on the location of their property, and not the location of the seller.

    Who will the new rules affect?

    As stipulated in HMRC's official guidelines, the new rules will affect:

    • Non-resident individuals
    • Non-resident trustees
    • Personal representatives of non-resident deceased persons
    • Certain non-resident companies (generally those companies controlled by five or less people)
    • Some UK residents selling UK property while abroad
    • Any of the above who are partners in a partnership

    When it comes to the amount of CGT to be paid, several factors need to be taken into account:

    • The amount of gain for the ownership period from 6 April 2015 onwards
    • Whether or not you have unused losses from disposing of other UK residential property
    • Where applicable, the amount of any available private residence relief
    • Whether or not the annual exempt amount is available
    • The amount of indexation allowance available for companies
    • The rate of CGT

    What you need to do

    The new rules mean you are required to tell HMRC that you have sold or disposed of your UK property within 30 days of selling it. As I highlighted in 2014:

    “A key point in the new CGT extension is that the charge will apply from April 2015, and only to gains arising from that date.”

    As one of the leading foreign national and contractor mortgage specialists in London, our mortgages team has been helping non-residents and self-employed contractors obtain competitive mortgages since 2006. In this case, they will establish the likely capital gain on your property.

    However, if you are interested in having your property valued, you will need to get a surveyor from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors to value your property, or, alternatively, engage a local estate agent.

    For more information on the topics covered in this post, or for any other mortgage-related queries, Sable can help, contact us on +44 (0) 20 7759 7519 or email our wealth team.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Typical-english-house
      Common mistakes that first-time homebuyers make
      Dec 06, 2018  |  by Ian Henning
    • Man-on-a-rocket
      Are you a UK contractor? Maximise tax-efficiency by using your pension
      Sep 25, 2018  |  by Bill Monty
    • terraced-houses-in-london
      Are you a UK contractor? Here’s how to get your mortgage approved
      Sep 12, 2018  |  by Marlon Borez
    • property-feud
      The hidden dangers of not having a will in the UK
      Sep 07, 2018  |  by Sherron Alexander-Bedingfield
    • typical-english-house
      You can receive your rental income tax-free if you don’t live in the UK
      Jul 12, 2018  |  by Ian Henning
    • carrot-incentive-running-track
      UK pensions: Between a QROP and a hard place? Or is it a damp SIPP?
      Jun 21, 2018  |  by Niel Pretorius
    • piggy-bank-dollar
      What to do with your living annuity when you retire abroad
      Jun 11, 2018  |  by Niel Pretorius
    • house-london
      In the UK, mortgage inaction is pickpocketing thousands of homeowners
      Jun 07, 2018  |  by Bill Monty
    • Hand-currency-blue
      Saying goodbye to South Africa? Financial emigration can give you access to your RA before you turn 55
      Apr 13, 2018  |  by Niel Pretorius
    • Dubai_skyline
      Lessons learned on a trip to Dubai: South Africans take note
      Nov 10, 2017  |  by Mike Abbott

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    Castlewood House
    77/91 New Oxford Street
    WC1A 1DG +44 (0) 20 7759 7514


    5-7 Selsdon Road
    South Croydon
    CR2 6PU +44 (0) 20 7759 7581



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services License issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS License number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.