close menu

Did you overpay on tax? Here’s how to find out

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Nov 11, 2015
  • One in every three people is due a UK tax refund, but millions of Pounds lie unclaimed with HMRC every year. We share the most common signs that you could be owed a tax refund. After all, who doesn’t like a surprise cheque in the mail?

    Why would you have overpaid tax?

    You may have paid too much tax if you:

    • Had more than one job
    • Did not work a full tax year
    • Were on the incorrect tax code

    The UK tax system assumes that you will be employed for the full tax year, which runs from 6 April to 5 April the following year. If you didn’t work for the whole period, you may have overpaid your tax. This means that HMRC owes you a tax refund. This applies even if your earnings exceeded the tax-free allowance.

    If your earnings fell below the tax-free allowance, you will be able to claim back all of the tax you paid for that tax year. Any tax rebates that you haven’t claimed in the last five years can also still be recovered.

    While certain criteria do apply, over 95% of people are able to make a claim, even after they’ve left the UK. Our tax refund calculator will estimate your refund, in seconds.

    How do you get your money back?

    It’s pretty simple. Complete this form, put your signature on a few documents, return them to us and one of our dedicated case workers will do the rest. No queues, no endless phone calls, no reason to leave the comfort of your couch.

    Worried about fees? You have nothing to lose. If we don’t help you get your tax refund, you don’t owe us a cent.

    And there’s more

    If you have professional expenses – including mileage and uniforms – claiming for these will likely increase the tax rebate due to you. Start digging for those receipts.

    Already spending your tax refund? Head on over to our Tax Rebate calculator to find out how much you’re due and let us help you get your money back.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • female-entrepreneur hot air balloon
      Why we need more women-owned businesses
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • crowdfunding lightbulb
      7 ways to finance your small business
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Businessman looking to the future
      How to get your business ready for the future
      Jun 19, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Guide to UK PAYE tax forms
      A guide to UK PAYE tax forms P45, P60 and P11D
      Jun 14, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Cut-taxes
      The 2019/20 tax year changes: What they mean for you
      Jun 10, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • confused
      Do you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return?
      May 29, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Tax refund money
      11 excellent ways to spend your UK tax refund
      Apr 09, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • London-business
      The UK still the best country for business in 2019
      Apr 04, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Contractor choosing door
      Contractor insurance: Choosing the right cover for your risks
      Mar 12, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Making Tax Digital for VAT
      Making Tax Digital for VAT deadline: What you need to know before April 2019
      Feb 18, 2019  |  by Scott Brown

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.