close menu

Everything you’ll need to get your tax refund

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Jun 16, 2016
  • With the tax season coming to an end, it’s the best time to apply to reclaim any tax you may have overpaid in the last tax year. You can apply to get tax back from the past four tax years, if you haven’t done so already. If you’re looking to put in a claim, you’ll need a P60.
    Tax refund EYNTK

    What is a P60?

    A P60 is a tax form also known as an “End of Year Certificate”. It contains a summary of your pay and tax details for the tax year, which runs from 6 April to 5 April the following year.

    The person or company who employs you on the last day of the tax year is responsible for giving you your P60 by 31 May – either on paper or electronically. This form is necessary to claim back overpaid tax and complete your Self Assessment tax return; it also serves as proof of income if you’re applying for a loan or mortgage.

    If your employer hasn’t given you a copy of your P60, you need to ask them for it as soon as possible.

    Here’s an example of the P60 End of Year Certificate:

    Got your documents? Get your tax back

    Once you’ve received your P60, you can start the process of reclaiming your overpaid tax. There are a few things you’ll need to do before you can start the claim process:

    1. Use a tax rebate calculator to check whether you’re due a refund
    2. Find out the details of any taxable benefits and taxable income you received

    If you worked for an employer for part of the tax year and are not still working for them on 5 April, you will receive a P45 instead of a P60. This form is usually given to you on your final day of employment and it can also be used when claiming tax refund.

    If you have misplaced your P45 or P60, you can either contact a tax agent to track down the forms on your behalf or you can request a statement of earnings from your previous employer.

    When you’ve got all of the required documents, you can apply for your tax refund. If you’d rather skip the paperwork, 1st Contact Tax Refunds can lodge the claim on your behalf. We’ll even source any missing tax documents for you.

    Use our Tax Refund Calculator to find out how much tax you can claim. If you know that you’re eligible to claim a rebate, you can fill out our online claim application form or give one of our consultants a call on +44 (0) 20 7759 7560.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Man cutting coin with table saw
      10 cost saving ideas for your small business
      Nov 20, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Confused businessman
      Hiring your first employee for your UK business? This is how much it costs
      Oct 31, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • business plan
      Step-by-step guide to writing a business plan [template included]
      Aug 29, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • female-entrepreneur hot air balloon
      Why we need more women-owned businesses
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • crowdfunding lightbulb
      7 ways to finance your small business
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Businessman looking to the future
      How to get your business ready for the future
      Jun 19, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Guide to UK PAYE tax forms
      A guide to UK PAYE tax forms P45, P60 and P11D
      Jun 14, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Cut-taxes
      The 2019/20 tax year changes: What they mean for you
      Jun 10, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • confused
      Do you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return?
      May 29, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Tax refund money
      11 excellent ways to spend your UK tax refund
      Apr 09, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8844

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.