close menu

Healthcare benefits for contractors

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Oct 09, 2014
  • Many permanent employees have access to health or medical cover as part of their employment package. But if you’re self-employed, can you (and should you) pay for things like healthcare insurance, gym memberships and medical expenses through your limited company?
    Contractor benefits

    The answer is: “it depends”. Every contractor’s situation is unique, and the rules governing expenses can be quite complex.

    The rule of thumb is that you may claim only for those expenses incurred wholly and exclusively for the purposes of running your business. Healthcare insurance, gym memberships and general medical expenses are not considered necessary for business purposes and cannot be claimed as business expenses.

    You may, however, pay for these expenses directly via your limited company, although a benefit in kind liability will arise and tax will be payable.

    This tax could be 20%, 40% or even 50%, depending on your other income.

    In addition, your limited company will incur a Class 1A National Insurance charge of 13.8% on the amount paid for the insurance, membership or medical expenses.

    There are a few exceptions to this rule. Eye tests, annual medical check-ups, health screenings and overseas medical treatments can be charged to your limited company with no tax charge. These are seen as legitimate business expenses. As a contractor, you can qualify for one health screening and one medical check-up per year. If you pay for both UK and overseas medical treatment via your company, only the overseas part will be exempt from benefit in kind charges.

    Benefits can be rather complicated so please speak to your accountant before you pay these via your limited company, to ensure you make the right decision. If you need any assistance or advice, or would like to form your own limited company, visit 1st Contact Accounting.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Confused businessman
      Hiring your first employee for your UK business? This is how much it costs
      Oct 31, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • business plan
      Step-by-step guide to writing a business plan [template included]
      Aug 29, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • female-entrepreneur hot air balloon
      Why we need more women-owned businesses
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • crowdfunding lightbulb
      7 ways to finance your small business
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Businessman looking to the future
      How to get your business ready for the future
      Jun 19, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Guide to UK PAYE tax forms
      A guide to UK PAYE tax forms P45, P60 and P11D
      Jun 14, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Cut-taxes
      The 2019/20 tax year changes: What they mean for you
      Jun 10, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • confused
      Do you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return?
      May 29, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Tax refund money
      11 excellent ways to spend your UK tax refund
      Apr 09, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • London-business
      The UK still the best country for business in 2019
      Apr 04, 2019  |  by Scott Brown

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.