close menu

How to claim a construction worker tax rebate quickly and easily

by John Dunn | Jul 31, 2014
  • Does the thought of claiming a tax refund feel similar to slamming a mallet down onto the tenderest part of your thumb? It really doesn’t have to be that way, especially if you’re contracting in the UK’s construction sector.
    Tax refunds

    By law, contractors working in the UK’s construction industry are obliged to submit a tax return each year. This means you could be eligible for a substantial tax refund. Not only can you claim for the last four years (if you haven’t claimed during that time), you could also save on your next tax payment, if we find that you should be on a different tax code.

    Did you know that you can more than likely claim for any specialised or protective clothing you’ve purchased for your job, but also for the cost of cleaning or repairing these work clothes?

    If you use your own vehicle and pay for your own fuel, you could claim these travel costs back too. The same goes for any tools or equipment needed for your work (provided it has not paid for by your employer of course).

    So how do you go about getting your hands on what is essentially your money? Contrary to what you might think, the process is fairly simple if you follow these three steps.

    1. Fill out the online application form

    The first step is simply to fill out the online application form. We need this quick information to get an idea of how much of your money might be lying unclaimed at HMRC. This shouldn’t take longer than three minutes and won’t cost you a cent. Once you have filled out the online application, you can also get an idea of how much you might receive, via our tax refund calculator.

    2. Put together your claim pack

    Getting together the right paperwork is the part that sounds most dreary, but the instructions will be very clear and your refund consultant is just a phone call away. For this part of the process, you will need your relevant P60s and P45s for the years you are claiming for. If you don’t have them all, send an email or make a phone call and they should be in your possession in no time. And if you need help getting your hands on them, your 1st Contact Tax Refunds consultant can assist you with that too.

    3. Relax and let us do the rest

    Once you’ve mailed the claim pack to our offices, your work is done. From there it’s up to us. We’ll submit your claim and, if necessary, liaise with HMRC on your behalf. Our experience, coupled with a good working relationship with HMRC, allows us to do this quickly and efficiently. 1st Contact Tax Refunds also works on a strict no-refund, no-fee policy. So if your claim is not successful, the only expense you’ll incur is the price of a stamp. If you are no longer working in the UK, you can still submit a claim, and we’ll transfer your money to the country of your choice.

    Get the ball rolling today by speaking to a qualified 1st Contact Tax Refunds consultant on +44 (0) 808 141 5503 or visit 1st Contact Tax Refunds for a free assessment.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Man cutting coin with table saw
      10 cost saving ideas for your small business
      Nov 20, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Confused businessman
      Hiring your first employee for your UK business? This is how much it costs
      Oct 31, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • business plan
      Step-by-step guide to writing a business plan [template included]
      Aug 29, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • female-entrepreneur hot air balloon
      Why we need more women-owned businesses
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • crowdfunding lightbulb
      7 ways to finance your small business
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Businessman looking to the future
      How to get your business ready for the future
      Jun 19, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Guide to UK PAYE tax forms
      A guide to UK PAYE tax forms P45, P60 and P11D
      Jun 14, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Cut-taxes
      The 2019/20 tax year changes: What they mean for you
      Jun 10, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • confused
      Do you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return?
      May 29, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Tax refund money
      11 excellent ways to spend your UK tax refund
      Apr 09, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8844

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.