close menu

Joint property ownership: Joint tenants vs tenants in common

by Sherron Alexander-Bedingfield | Oct 01, 2015
  • There are a variety of ways in which you can hold rights over a piece of property. If you own property jointly with your spouse, partner or friends, it is important to know whether you as owners are joint tenants or tenants in common. In both of these instances, the property is owned jointly, but the legal consequences are significantly different.
    joint property

    Property can be jointly held in one of two ways – where owners are registered as joint tenants or tenants in common. It is important to understand the difference between these types of ownership and to make sure that they are recorded correctly when you buy property.

    The Land Registry keeps records of most properties, including the names of the registered owners, whether the property is jointly or solely owned and in what capacity. A search of their records can easily and quickly establish this information. 

    When you first bought your property with your partner, you may have agreed to hold the property as joint tenants.  This agreement would cause the surviving joint owner to automatically be entitled to the whole of the property upon the death of the other joint owner – outside of any will made. However, as the years go by, your intention may change. It may be that the relationship has come to an end, one party contributed more to the initial purchase price or is paying a greater proportion of the property expenses.

    It is possible to prevent the property falling into the estate of the other joint owner. You can serve a notice of severance on the other party, causing the owners to become tenants in common; this can be done without the other owner’s consent. Where individuals hold property as joint tenants in common, different portions of the property are owned by different owners and the property does not automatically pass to the surviving owner upon the other’s death.

    We can assist you in ensuring that your jointly owned property is held in the way that best suits your circumstances. Joint tenancy and tenancy in common have extremely different consequences. If you are cohabiting, separated, divorced or jointly own property with another person, it is important that you understand the implications of that joint ownership. 

    If you need help regulating your jointly owned property in the UK, contact us at or call us on 020 7759 5531.


    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Typical-english-house
      Common mistakes that first-time homebuyers make
      Dec 06, 2018  |  by Ian Henning
    • Man-on-a-rocket
      Are you a UK contractor? Maximise tax-efficiency by using your pension
      Sep 25, 2018  |  by Bill Monty
    • terraced-houses-in-london
      Are you a UK contractor? Here’s how to get your mortgage approved
      Sep 12, 2018  |  by Marlon Borez
    • property-feud
      The hidden dangers of not having a will in the UK
      Sep 07, 2018  |  by Sherron Alexander-Bedingfield
    • carrot-incentive-running-track
      UK pensions: Between a QROP and a hard place? Or is it a damp SIPP?
      Jun 21, 2018  |  by Niel Pretorius
    • piggy-bank-dollar
      What to do with your living annuity when you retire abroad
      Jun 11, 2018  |  by Niel Pretorius
    • house-london
      In the UK, mortgage inaction is pickpocketing thousands of homeowners
      Jun 07, 2018  |  by Bill Monty
    • Hand-currency-blue
      Saying goodbye to South Africa? Financial emigration can give you access to your RA before you turn 55
      Apr 13, 2018  |  by Niel Pretorius
    • Dubai_skyline
      Lessons learned on a trip to Dubai: South Africans take note
      Nov 10, 2017  |  by Mike Abbott
    • Piggy-banks-thinking
      Financial emigration: Transfer your retirement annuities out of South Africa
      Oct 20, 2017  |  by Niel Pretorius

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    Castlewood House
    77/91 New Oxford Street
    WC1A 1DG +44 (0) 20 7759 7514


    5-7 Selsdon Road
    South Croydon
    CR2 6PU +44 (0) 20 7759 7581



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services License issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS License number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.