close menu

Lost tax forms? No problem

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Aug 13, 2014
  • One in three people are due a tax refund, yet millions of Pounds lie unclaimed at HMRC. One of the reasons people don't claim is because they believe their misplaced documents disqualify them from a tax refund. The truth is, locating your lost tax forms is the easiest trick of all.

    If you're hoping to apply for a tax refund but are missing your P45s and P60s, there's no reason to fret.  Even if the company you worked for has closed down, HMRC lets you claim for a period of up to four years - irrespective of whether or not you still have your original P45s and P60s.  But before we even talk about applying for new forms, here's a quick run-down of your P45 and P60.  If you still think you've misplaced them, get in touch with one of our consultants for a replacement.


    The P60 is issued at the end of the tax year when you are still in employment. It shows your pay for the year, tax code, NI number, the tax paid by you and so on – all the information HMRC needs to ascertain whether or not you are due a refund and exactly how much is owed to you.


    The P45 is a similar form, given to you when you leave employment. The main difference is that it contains the same financial information – but from the start of the tax year to the date you leave the company.

    Tracking down your missing forms

    There are a number of things you could do if you are missing these forms. Firstly, a 1st Contact Tax Refunds consultant can track down the forms on your behalf through various channels. They will locate them through your previous employers and/or through the tax office.

    Should it not be possible to locate these documents, you could request a Statements of Earnings from your previous employer. Again, one of our consultants can assist you with this. Once you have these, simply fill out the short online application to request a Claim Pack, then complete your Claim Pack and send it back to us. We’ll take it from there.

    1st Contact Tax Refunds works on a ‘no refund – no fee' policy, so you have nothing to lose by applying for a tax refund. Depending on your circumstances, you could receive an average of £850 in tax back. Visit 1st Contact Tax Refunds to start the process of claiming back your overpaid tax.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Confused businessman
      Hiring your first employee for your UK business? This is how much it costs
      Oct 31, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • business plan
      Step-by-step guide to writing a business plan [template included]
      Aug 29, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • female-entrepreneur hot air balloon
      Why we need more women-owned businesses
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • crowdfunding lightbulb
      7 ways to finance your small business
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Businessman looking to the future
      How to get your business ready for the future
      Jun 19, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Guide to UK PAYE tax forms
      A guide to UK PAYE tax forms P45, P60 and P11D
      Jun 14, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Cut-taxes
      The 2019/20 tax year changes: What they mean for you
      Jun 10, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • confused
      Do you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return?
      May 29, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Tax refund money
      11 excellent ways to spend your UK tax refund
      Apr 09, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • London-business
      The UK still the best country for business in 2019
      Apr 04, 2019  |  by Scott Brown

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.