close menu

UK Treasury may strip non-resident migrants of tax-free allowance

by 1st Contact | Aug 15, 2014
  • The UK is looking to clamp down on the benefits received by temporary migrants. If the Treasury’s proposal goes through, temporary workers from outside the UK will no longer receive their £10,000 tax-free personal allowance.
    Tax refunds

    At present, anyone who works in the UK – whether they are a British citizen or not – receives the first £10,000 of their income tax-free in the form of a ‘tax-free allowance’. What this means in practice is that low-wage earners do not pay tax on their earnings. Under the new proposal, thousands of non-residents working in temporary, low-paid jobs would have to pay tax for the very first time.

    According to John Dunn, Manager at 1st Contact Tax Refunds, the people most affected “will be migrants who are not classed as residents for tax purposes, who live and work for short periods, and do not contribute towards National Insurance (NI) for at least six months.”

    Furthermore, Dunn emphasises, “these workers will be mandated to pay 20p per Pound earned and will not be able to claim Jobseeker’s Allowance unless they have six months of NI contributions (the current level is three months).”

    There are an estimated 250,000 European migrants working temp jobs in the UK, and thousands more from countries of the old Commonwealth like Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Canada. The ruling would, however, only apply to those workers who live and work in the UK for less than six months a year. Other affected parties would be the more than 100,000 international professionals who spend only part of the year working in the UK, and non-resident landlords who live outside the UK but receive rental income from a UK property.

    The scrapping of the personal allowance for non-resident was first introduced in Chancellor David Cameron’s Budget Speech in March 2014, following consistent rhetoric from the Conservatives about clamping down on benefits for migrant workers.

    According to a Treasury spokesperson, “The increases the government has made to the personal allowance support hardworking people by helping them to keep more of the money they earn and, as a result, is one of the most generous in the world. At the same time, we believe that it is reasonable to consider whether non-residents who receive income from the UK are paying a fair share of tax on that income, in this country.”

    1st Contact Tax Refunds will keep you up to date with any developments following this proposal as and when they come through.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Confused businessman
      Hiring your first employee for your UK business? This is how much it costs
      Oct 31, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • business plan
      Step-by-step guide to writing a business plan [template included]
      Aug 29, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • female-entrepreneur hot air balloon
      Why we need more women-owned businesses
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • crowdfunding lightbulb
      7 ways to finance your small business
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Businessman looking to the future
      How to get your business ready for the future
      Jun 19, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Guide to UK PAYE tax forms
      A guide to UK PAYE tax forms P45, P60 and P11D
      Jun 14, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Cut-taxes
      The 2019/20 tax year changes: What they mean for you
      Jun 10, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • confused
      Do you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return?
      May 29, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Tax refund money
      11 excellent ways to spend your UK tax refund
      Apr 09, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • London-business
      The UK still the best country for business in 2019
      Apr 04, 2019  |  by Scott Brown

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.