close menu

Skills list change will make it tougher to teach in the UK

by John Dunn | Jul 18, 2016
  • In June, then UK Home Secretary, and now prime minister, Theresa May, commissioned the Migration Advisory Committee (MAC) to determine whether teachers should remain on the Shortage Occupation List (SOL). It’s unclear what the committee will determine, but the hope is that teachers will remain on the SOL.
    Tier 2 visa changes underway

    The UK is struggling to hold on to teachers

    The National Audit Office (NAO) found that 54% of head teachers at schools servicing disadvantaged students have difficulties holding on to their teachers. In non-disadvantaged servicing schools, 33% of head teachers revealed it is becoming increasingly difficult to retain their top teachers.

    In addition to this, new Tier 2 regulations (for all professions) will set the salary threshold for “experienced” employees on a Tier 2 visa at £30,000 a year. Since most teacher salaries fall well below this limit, it will be even more difficult for schools to hold on to their experienced foreign teachers.

    Sponsorship certificates are now harder to issue

    Previously, employment agencies were able to sponsor teachers for their Tier 2 visas. A recent rule change means that this can no longer be done. Now, the employer of the teacher has to be the sponsor on the sponsorship certificate. This puts an additional administrative burden on the schools themselves when searching for teachers.

    In addition to this regulatory hurdle, the monthly cap on Tier 2 sponsorship certificates is reached every month. This makes it almost impossible for schools to bring the number of teachers needed.

    Darryl Mydat, MD of the London Teacher Pool, has been vocal in highlighting the problems facing schools in the UK. Mydat has called for occupations that are on the SOL to be excluded from this limitation.

    Have your say: Contact the MAC

    On 6 June, the MAC called for evidence to motivate why teachers, both primary and secondary, should be retained on the SOL. In their preliminary report the committee revealed: “The government’s commission relates to all teaching professionals in primary and secondary education in both the state and private sectors.

    “This means that it is limited to jobs that fall within the following Standard Occupational Classification (SOC) codes:

    • SOC 2314 Secondary education teaching professionals
    • SOC 2315 Primary and nursery education teaching professionals
    • SOC 2316 Special needs education teaching professionals”

    Currently, schools rely on foreigners who wish to teach in the UK to fill the empty spaces in their schools. It is hoped, given the facts on the ground, that the value of foreign teachers will be obvious and the MAC will decide to keep school teachers on the SOL.

    Get your Tier 2 visa application in before it gets any more difficult. We’ll handle the process from start to finish. Send one of our immigration experts an email or give us a call on 0800 003 163 (in South Africa), or 1800 039 300 (in Australia).

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • visa application
      What’s the difference between a UK Marriage Visitor visa and a spouse visa?
      Nov 08, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Sydney skyline
      Invest in Australian property and earn permanent residency for you and your family
      Oct 18, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Australia-look-see.png
      Everything you should do on your look-and-see visit to Australia
      Aug 12, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Porto cityscape
      10 reasons to move to Porto, Portugal
      Jul 29, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Oxford-street
      Everything you ever wanted to know about applying for a UK Tier 2 (General) visa
      Jul 18, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Australia skyline
      Landed a temporary job Down Under? Get an Australian working holiday visa
      Jul 08, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • sydney-australia
      Australian visa processing times: How long you’ll wait for approval
      Jun 27, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • British passport and citizenship approved
      British citizenship and indefinite leave to remain: Why you need to know the difference
      Jun 25, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • seven-corners-image
      The importance of purchasing travel insurance with a Tier 4 UK student visa
      Jun 13, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • kangaroos
      Two new Aussie visa routes for skilled migrants
      May 23, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.