close menu

Tax implications of transferring property to children

by Scott Brown | Mar 14, 2014
  • Taxpayers are entitled to transfer ownership of assets to the value of up to £325,000 without paying inheritance tax (IHT), while assets worth more than that are subject to a whopping 40% IHT.
    Green monopoly house sitting on screws

    Many people transfer their properties over to their children in order to reduce their tax liability. But is this a wise move? It could be a way to reduce tax liability, but also comes with certain risks that should be taken into consideration.

    How is the transfer done?

    Gifting: The simplest option is to gift a property directly to a child or children, so that the value of the parent’s estate is reduced. The gift is given outright, so the original owner gives up any rights to share in proceeds or receive any kind of rental income from the property.

    Part gifting: This is where only a part of the property is gifted, leaving the original owner as a joint owner. Of course, part of the property also remains in the parent’s estate. 


    It’s important to understand the risks of transferring property into a child’s name.

    Loss of control: Whatever your reasons for transferring the property, once you do so – the house is no longer yours, meaning the new owner can paint it purple, rent it out to whoever they want or sell it – without your permission. If your child goes bankrupt, the property will form part of their estate and could be lost with absolutely no legal recourse available to you.

    Capital Gains Tax: It is important that you take capital gains tax into consideration. This is charged when an asset classed as an investment goes up in value. If your children are not living in your property when you transfer it into their names it will be subject to capital gains tax when they want to sell it. This means that if the property increases in value after being transferred over to your children, they may then be liable to pay tax on it.

    Income tax: Should the child rent out the property – either to the parent or someone else, they would be receiving an income from the property and would need to declare this to Inland Revenue.

    Avoidance Inspectors: One of the common reasons that people transfer property to their children is to avoid having to sell their home to pay for care fees. But avoidance inspectors are going through financial records to find evidence of attempts to conceal wealth and shelter the property from the council care calculation. They can reverse the transfer of ownership so that it is included in the test for funding or demand the money be paid from somewhere, putting the owner in a tricky predicament.

    If the child receiving the rental income is under the age of 18, the income will deemed to be taxable income for the parent and may not therefore reduce the income tax liability.

    Any change in ownership needs to be registered with the Land Registry.

    If you're looking for more information on transferring of property and the tax implications involved, please visit our Accounting section.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Business-concept
      Moving your business to the UK? You’ll need to understand the UK’s VAT regulations
      Nov 12, 2018  |  by Scott Brown
    • Autumn-statement-banner-no-logo-white
      Highlights from the 2018 Autumn Statement
      Oct 30, 2018  |  by Scott Brown
    • man-in-front-of-shop
      A quick guide to UK business tax
      Oct 26, 2018  |  by Scott Brown
    • working-man-contractor
      Self-employment vs. contracting in the UK: What’s the difference?
      Oct 11, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • man-relaxing
      Why your SME needs management accounting
      Oct 10, 2018  |  by Scott Brown
    • yes no cross tick
      HMRC’s employment status test continues to frustrate UK contractors
      Sep 24, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Money
      Leaving the UK? Get some extra cash by claiming your tax refund
      Sep 20, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Businessman-on-graph
      How you can stop worrying and learn to love outsourced accounting
      Aug 03, 2018  |  by Scott Brown
    • tax-deadlines
      Self Assessment deadline reminder! Second payment due end of July
      Jul 25, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • magnifying-glass-contract
      IR35: Are you in or are you out?
      Jul 02, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    Castlewood House
    77/91 New Oxford Street
    WC1A 1DG +44 (0) 20 7759 7514


    5-7 Selsdon Road
    South Croydon
    CR2 6PU +44 (0) 20 7759 7581



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services License issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS License number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.