close menu

UK Border Agency announces changes to immigration rights of EEA nationals

by 1st Contact | Jul 19, 2012
  • The UKBA recently announced that changes have been made to the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006, dealing specifically with the rights of EEA nationals (and their family members) to enter and live in the UK.


    Changes include:

    • Amendments to reflect current operational practice
    • New rights of residence
    • Restrictions on free movement rights
    • The extension of refusal powers based on public policy, public health, and public security
    • Amended appeal rights

    The regulations were amended to give effect to certain judgments of the Court of Justice of the European Union (ECJ), which establishes new rights to enter and reside in the UK and restricts the terms on which free movement rights can be exercised.

    These changes will affect

    • Primary carers of self-sufficient EEA national children, children of EEA national workers or former workers where the child is in education in the UK
    • Primary carers of children of EEA national workers or former workers where the child is in education in the UK
    • Dependent children under the age of 18 of the primary carers in each of the aforementioned categories

    A new application form will be available on the UKBA website shortly and guidance for applicants will be available on their website too – in the European Nationals section.

    In the meantime, applicants must complete Form EEA2 and include a covering letter to explain the reason for their application. Applicants should post the form and letter to this address:

    UK Border Agency 
    European Applications
    PO Box 306
    Dept 110
    L2 0QN

    For more information on these changes, download this detailed document.

    If you have any visa or immigration-related questions, contact 1st Contact Visas.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • seven-corners-image
      The importance of purchasing travel insurance with a Tier 4 UK student visa
      Jun 13, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • kangaroos
      Two new Aussie visa routes for skilled migrants
      May 23, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Passport-stamp
      25% of UK spouse visa applications are refused every year – make sure yours isn’t one
      Apr 02, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • UK flag with calculator
      How to calculate your costs before you immigrate to the UK
      Mar 29, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • businessman multitasking
      Everything we know about the new Tier 1 Innovator visa
      Mar 29, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • british moving van
      Shipping household goods from South Africa to the UK, what you need to know
      Mar 29, 2019  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • City-of-london
      Applying for a UK visa from Australia and New Zealand – what you need to know to avoid being refused
      Mar 20, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • UK Tier 1 visas set to change
      Investors out, innovators in: UK Tier 1 visas set to change
      Feb 19, 2019  |  by Gary Kockott
    • recruitment
      The UK reveals its new skills-based immigration system for EU and non-EU nationals
      Jan 22, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • London-flag
      Why so many people moved to the UK in 2018
      Dec 12, 2018  |  by John Dunn

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.