close menu

Don’t just see the world, experience it - go on a working holiday in the UK

by Sam Hopwood | Jun 01, 2018
  • Many people see a working holiday in the UK as the perfect way to fund their dream of travelling the world. A working holiday also allows you to gain international work experience, grow on a personal level and give you a whole new perspective on life and the world in general. Here are some great reasons why you should take the plunge and spend a few years working in the UK.

    Explore the UK on a Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa

    The Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa, also sometimes referred to as a UK working holiday visa, gives citizens from certain countries, aged 18 to 31 years old, the opportunity to live and work in the UK for up to two years. During your stay, you’ll be allowed to leave and re-enter the UK as often as you like, as long as your visa is still valid.

    The process of applying for a Tier 5 visa does come with some very specific requirements. To qualify for this visa, you must:

    • Possess a passport from one of these participating countries, which includes Australia and New Zealand, but excludes South Africa
    • Have no dependant children
    • Have not been to the UK before on this scheme or on any previous working holiday visa
    • Have at least £1,890 in savings when applying

    Things to consider when applying for your visa

    You can apply for your Tier 5 visa no more than six months before your expected date of arrival in the UK. So, if you intend on arriving in the UK in June, you may only apply from January in that same year.

    You can’t extend your stay in the UK with this visa, but you may be allowed to switch to another visa category should you want to extend your stay. If you discover that after spending two years in the UK that you want to continue living and working in the country, you can do so on a Tier 2 (General) visa. To do this, you will need to be offered employment in the UK.  Alternatively, if one of your grandparents was born in the UK, you could be eligible for an Ancestry visa, which allows you to live and work in the UK for up to five years.

    Switching visas can be a bit tricky. If you’d like to find out what your options are for prolonging your stay in the UK, you should get hold of a registered UK immigration advisor.

    Want to apply for a UK Tier 5 visa?

    Why thousands choose a working holiday in the UK

    Earn while you travel

    The unfortunate reality is that travelling abroad is expensive. Most of us have to save for quite a long time just to go to one destination. Thanks to England’s central location, you’re able to explore more places while you work without depleting your travel funds on plane and train tickets. 

    Easy access to Europe

    One of the great benefits of a UK working holiday visa is that it makes travelling throughout Europe a lot more affordable. On the Tier 5 visa, you can leave and enter the UK at any time while your visa is valid. Whether you want to nip across to Germany to experience Oktoberfest or hop on a ferry to Amsterdam, it is really easy to do so from the UK.

    Get to know the people and culture better

    There’s only so much you can learn about a country or its culture on a two-week holiday. A working holiday visa gives you an extended stay of up to two years, which means that you’ll really get to experience the people and immerse yourself in the culture.

    You’ll be exposed to varied and interesting jobs

    Who knows, after your two-year stint you may discover that you really enjoy being an au pair or working serving drinks in the marquee at the Royal Ascot. With a working holiday visa, you’ll get loads of experience in various trades, which can only be of benefit to you.

    International experience looks good on your CV

    Working in a major city like London can greatly enhance your employability back home. Some employers might like the idea that you’ve been exposed to different work environments abroad. Employers also prefer candidates that are able to demonstrate the independence and maturity it takes to strike out on their own in a new country far from home. If you’ve opted to work in your field of study, it could prove to be an invaluable asset to your career.

    YOLO - it’s the greatest adventure you’ll ever have

    Starting afresh in a new country is a real adventure, and one that many people never regret doing. Sure, the idea of moving to a foreign country may seem a little scary at first, but at the end of it you’ll realise that you’ve learnt how to survive on your own. You’ll gain added confidence and get to experience the world in a way that many people never get a chance to.

    Kick-start your life in the UK

    We understand what it’s like to move to another country. You probably have a lot of questions and concerns, such as how to go about applying for a Tier 5 visa, where you will stay and work in the UK, and what to do when you first arrive. That’s why we’ve created a pretty neat all-in-one package that provides you with everything you need to get your life in the UK off to the best possible start.

    When you choose our 1st Contact Relocation Packages, we’ll sort out your National Insurance number and set up your UK bank account. As an added bonus, the package will include a UK SIM card from the network provider of your choice, so you can easily keep in touch with your family back home. We’ll also help you perfect your CV and find the right job, and you’ll receive accommodation assistance, travel discounts and a free money transfer. We don’t think there’s an easier and more stress-free way to start a new chapter in your life.

    Ready to pack your bags and head to the UK? We can help you get your visa and make sure that you’re ready to hit the ground running when you arrive. Get in touch with us on or +1800 039 300.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • visa application
      What’s the difference between a UK Marriage Visitor visa and a spouse visa?
      Nov 08, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Sydney skyline
      Invest in Australian property and earn permanent residency for you and your family
      Oct 18, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Australia-look-see.png
      Everything you should do on your look-and-see visit to Australia
      Aug 12, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Porto cityscape
      10 reasons to move to Porto, Portugal
      Jul 29, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Oxford-street
      Everything you ever wanted to know about applying for a UK Tier 2 (General) visa
      Jul 18, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Australia skyline
      Landed a temporary job Down Under? Get an Australian working holiday visa
      Jul 08, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • sydney-australia
      Australian visa processing times: How long you’ll wait for approval
      Jun 27, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • British passport and citizenship approved
      British citizenship and indefinite leave to remain: Why you need to know the difference
      Jun 25, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • seven-corners-image
      The importance of purchasing travel insurance with a Tier 4 UK student visa
      Jun 13, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • kangaroos
      Two new Aussie visa routes for skilled migrants
      May 23, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8844

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.