close menu

What HMRC’s proposed IR35 tweaks mean for contractors in the public sector

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Sep 14, 2016
  • HMRC is aiming to clamp down on contractors and self-employed workers who are not paying the correct amount of tax. Their efforts could see 90% of contractors either move to the private sector or increase their fees to compensate for the costs.

    The government is currently deciding whether to shift the responsibility for intermediaries’ legislation compliance – known as IR35 – from the individual contractor to a public body or employment agency.

    These reforms will result in contractors having to pay the same amount of tax as permanent employees, without receiving any of the associated benefits, such as sick and holiday pay.

    In the 2016 Budget Statement, George Osborne announced that those who use the services of any contractors working through limited or personal service companies will be required to pay income tax and National Insurance on the contractors’ behalf. The rule will also be applicable where a contractor works through a public sector body or agency. It is proposed to come into force in April 2017.

    If this goes ahead, HMRC hopes to raise an additional £400m by targeting the 20,000 public sector contractors who are currently not paying the correct tax under IR35 rules. It is estimated that only 10% of those who should apply the rules do so.

    A recent survey of 250 public sector IT contractors showed that only 10% of respondents would pay extra tax. The remaining 90% stated that they would either go into the private sector or increase their fees to compensate for the extra tax. A fee increase to the public sector could be as much as 30% if a contractor wishes to maintain the same level of income after being deemed to be inside IR35.

    If HMRC chooses to proceed with the proposed clamp down, government could end up losing out on £115m in projected tax revenues. In addition to this, it could face a £610m rise in costs per year to re-hire contractors who move to the private sector.

    In the case of an HMRC investigation resulting in a negative outcome, it is essential to have insurance cover in place to help with both the cost of an audit (professional assistance) and the possibility of a tax liability that may arise.

    We have partnered with a law firm to help provide our clients with comprehensive advice. Follow this link to get free quote for contractor insurance, as well as the option to have your contract reviewed for IR35 purposes for only £40 (usually £199).

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Man cutting coin with table saw
      10 cost saving ideas for your small business
      Nov 20, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Confused businessman
      Hiring your first employee for your UK business? This is how much it costs
      Oct 31, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • business plan
      Step-by-step guide to writing a business plan [template included]
      Aug 29, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • female-entrepreneur hot air balloon
      Why we need more women-owned businesses
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • crowdfunding lightbulb
      7 ways to finance your small business
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Businessman looking to the future
      How to get your business ready for the future
      Jun 19, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Guide to UK PAYE tax forms
      A guide to UK PAYE tax forms P45, P60 and P11D
      Jun 14, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Cut-taxes
      The 2019/20 tax year changes: What they mean for you
      Jun 10, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • confused
      Do you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return?
      May 29, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Tax refund money
      11 excellent ways to spend your UK tax refund
      Apr 09, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8844

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.