close menu

Who gets the house? Understanding joint property ownership

by Sherron Alexander-Bedingfield | Jan 21, 2016
  • Property assets often form the core, and most emotionally sensitive, part of a will. The way that property is held between spouses or partners can affect the way it must be passed on.
    Before leaving property to a beneficiary in a will, think first about how you own that property and whether all of it (or part of it) can be left to your loved ones.

    Anyone who jointly owns property should have a clear understanding of how that property is held. Property can be jointly held in one of two ways: As joint tenants or tenants in common.

    Both are in joint names, but they have a different bearing on how your property can and should be dealt with in a will.
    • Joint tenants – on the death of a joint owner, the whole property is passed to the surviving owner(s) outside of any will.  This is the most common way that two or more people hold property in the UK.
    • Tenants in common – on the death of a joint owner, the deceased’s share of the property is distributed according to the terms of the deceased’s will. If there is no will, intestacy rules apply.
    If you are uncertain of the way you jointly own your property, this information can be found out from the Land Registry for a small fee. If you need to change from a joint tenancy to a tenants in common, our wills experts can prepare the necessary paperwork on your behalf.

    The way you jointly own property is particularly important for people in second marriages or where one party has contributed more to the purchase price. Similarly, it should be looked at where couples have divorced or just separated. Often the property was purchased during a period of happiness and hope and, when that relationship has ended, both parties need to think about regularising their financial affairs. Without this, a former partner could inherit your share of the house. 

    Joint ownership and Inheritance Tax

    You should also be mindful of tax implications when gifting your home to your children or selling your home and giving them all or a share of the funds.

    For Inheritance Tax purposes, gifting your property has the same tax implications as giving a large gift. You can make an outright gift of your home, regardless of its value, and it will be exempt from Inheritance Tax if you live for an additional seven years. The gift is considered a potentially exempt transfer.

    However, if you give away your home with conditions attached to it, or if you continue to benefit from the home yourself, then this is known as a gift with reservation of benefit.

    In this scenario, it does not matter how long you live for, the gift will never be exempt from Inheritance Tax. The best way to prevent the property from being considered a gift with reservation of benefit is to pay market rent on the property and for the new owners to declare the rental income received in their own tax returns.

    There are also further tax implications when you sell your home, give the money to your children and then move in and live with them. To ensure that you are not considered asliving in a pre-owned asset you will need to pay them market rent and ensure that they declare their rental income.

    It is important to have a frank and honest discussion with your will writer and financial adviser about your property so that you can pass it on to the people you care about in the way that you want.

    For more information, visit our wills page or contact us at or on +44 (0) 20 7759 5531.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Hand depositing coin depicting Pound symbol into house-shaped piggy bank
      Should you remortgage or consider a product transfer?
      Sep 23, 2019  |  by Neil Ambrose
    • Town- houses
      How Shari’ah (Islamic) mortgages work
      Sep 06, 2019  |  by Ian Henning
    • Home Model
      4 things first-time homebuyers should do
      Aug 20, 2019  |  by Neil Ambrose
    • Property with price tage
      It’s a great time to buy your first UK property – here’s why
      Jun 03, 2019  |  by Marlon Borez
    • Handing over house keys
      Contractor mortgages: What you need to know for a successful application
      May 31, 2019  |  by Ian Henning
    • House rent protection
      Rental guarantees: What lenders think about rent protection schemes
      Apr 24, 2019  |  by Bill Monty
    • blended-families
      How “yours, mine and ours” complicates the estate planning process: Advice for blended families
      Apr 17, 2019  |  by Sherron Alexander-Bedingfield
    • Mortgage Concept
      The perfect time to secure a better interest rate on your remortgage
      Apr 03, 2019  |  by Ian Henning
    • growing tree
      The boom behind ESG investing – what’s actually driving the demand
      Mar 26, 2019  |  by Mike Abbott
    • Lightbulb working
      South Africa’s Retail Distribution Review – slow but important changes for investors and advisors
      Mar 05, 2019  |  by Mike Abbott

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.