close menu

Why apply for a UK Visa when you could have the passport?

by 1st Contact | Jun 09, 2011
  • Could you be eligible for a British Passport?


    Are you sure?

    According to Robyn Cory from 1st Contact Visas, there are thousands of people – particularly from Commonwealth countries – who often are not aware they may be eligible through Nationality law at the time of their birth and their ancestry that they may be eligible for a UK passport, when in fact they do qualify.

    “A nationality status trace through 1st Contact Visas, along with the relevant supporting documentation could well put you on your way to British citizenship, and all the possibilities that opens up.”

    A Complicated System

    British nationality law – the UK law concerning British citizenship – is complex because of the UK’s former status as an imperial power.

    Anyone who has attempted to assess their own eligibility for UK citizenship will know it is a long and complicated process through an even more complicated system, with an enormous number of variables.

    The bottom line is that if you’re a citizen of a commonwealth country like South Africa, Australia or New Zealand, Canada etc, you may be able to claim UK nationality depending on a combination of factors including marriages, births, legislation and past relationships between the countries.

    Professional Trace Service

    1st Contact Visas is well positioned to assist with ascertaining your rights to British citizenship by either naturalisation or registration.

    Naturalisation as a British citizen can occur after you have lived in the UK for a qualifying period of up to 5 years on a relevant visa and successfully applied and obtained Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). After holding ILR for a further 12 month period and meeting of continuous residency requirements in the UK, you can apply for Naturalisation, British Citizenship.

    British citizenship can also be obtained by Registration. If for instance you were born prior 1 Jan 1983 and your mother was born in the UK, you will qualify for registration as a British citizen straight away. If you were born prior to 07 Feb 1961, you will only be eligible to hold Right of Abode (RoA) and then once you have resided in the UK for 5 continuous years on this status, you will be eligible to naturalise.

    To find out more or complete the FREE online assessment, visit our visas section or call 0808 141 1664 (UK), 021 657-2180 (South Africa) or 1800 039 300 (Australia).

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Australia-look-see.png
      Everything you should do on your look-and-see visit to Australia
      Aug 12, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Porto cityscape
      10 reasons to move to Porto, Portugal
      Jul 29, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Oxford-street
      Everything you ever wanted to know about applying for a UK Tier 2 (General) visa
      Jul 18, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Australia skyline
      Landed a temporary job Down Under? Get an Australian working holiday visa
      Jul 08, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • sydney-australia
      Australian visa processing times: How long you’ll wait for approval
      Jun 27, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • British passport and citizenship approved
      British citizenship and indefinite leave to remain: Why you need to know the difference
      Jun 25, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • seven-corners-image
      The importance of purchasing travel insurance with a Tier 4 UK student visa
      Jun 13, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • kangaroos
      Two new Aussie visa routes for skilled migrants
      May 23, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Passport-stamp
      25% of UK spouse visa applications are refused every year – make sure yours isn’t one
      Apr 02, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Mother, daughter and grandmother
      Australia’s new five-year parent visa – another way to bring your parents Down Under
      Apr 01, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.