How to become a naturalised citizen of the UK
To be granted British citizenship, you will have to meet several eligibility and residential requirements. To be eligible to naturalise in the UK you must:
- Be over 18 years old
- Be of good character
- Have the requisite language ability
- Have passed the Life in the UK Test
- Intend to continue to live in the UK
You will also have to satisfy residential requirements. The key requirements are as follows:
- You must have lived in the UK five years before you applied to naturalise
- You will have to have spent enough time in the UK over those five years
- You need to have held indefinite leave to remain or permanent residence for 12 months before you apply to naturalise
It should be noted that the vast majority of refusals for British citizenship applications have been as a result of applicants not meeting the good character and residential requirements.
The process of naturalisation also depends on your own individual status, for instance:
- Are you a national from the European Economic Area or Switzerland?
- What kind of passport do you hold?
- Are you married or in a relationship with a UK citizen?
These, and a myriad of other factors, can influence your application for naturalisation. Let our experienced team of UK nationality experts handle your application.