close menu

Useful information for contractors

Common tax and filing deadlines

Here are some common tax and statutory filing deadlines for companies and individuals

Return Name Due date
Annual/financial accounts 9 months after your company’s year-end date
CT600 Corporation Tax return 12 months after your company's year-end date
Corporation Tax payment 9 months after your company’s year-end date
Monthly RTI Salary Returns Monthly
P11D expenses and benefits 6 July each year
VAT Returns Quarterly, as per your VAT Certificate
Self Assessment Electronic returns due by 31 Jan each year

For help in meeting any of these deadlines, contact us on +44 (0) 20 7759 7530 or

Supporting documentation for visa and mortgage applications

When you're applying for a visa or a mortgage, you are often required to submit a substantial number of supporting documents. These requirements differ for salaried employees and those who are self-employed or working through a limited company.

Our accounting teams are experienced in putting together payslips, dividend certificates, financial or management accounts, accountants' letters and several other documents that you may need to support your application. We provide this service for free if you're one of our all-inclusive package clients, but we do rely on you to give us instruction on which documents the specific visa office or mortgage providers need.

We also have expert in-house immigration and mortgage advisers. Our visa or mortgage adviser can simply instruct your accounting team to provide the relevant documents so that you don’t need to get involved.

For more information on visa and mortgage support documentation, contact us on : +44 (0) 20 7759 7553 or

What to consider when choosing an accountant

The contractor accounting marketplace is a competitive space, and unfortunately there are many unregulated accounting companies within this space. The industry is controlled by regulations and legislation that your accountant should be aware of. We advise you to consider the following aspects carefully when making this decision:

Make sure that you do this What Sable International does
Check that the accountant has a solid track record and a good reputation in the industry. We are well-established in the industry, and have been in business for over 16 years.
Ensure that the accountant has professional qualifications or is registered with an accounting governing body. We are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Check that the accountant has professional indemnity insurance. If the advice provided to you was incorrect, you could claim for any financial loss suffered. We have professional indemnity in place.
Look for a proactive accountant who includes all returns and accounts in their accounting package. Our all-inclusive accounting services include the filing of all statutory returns and requirements.
Consider an accountant that provides other, complementary services. This will be a great added value to you, as all your professional matters can be dealt with in one place. We also offer legal, offshore, immigration, tax and foreign exchange services.

Filing accounts using iXBRL

Since April 2011, all UK limited companies need to file accounts and Corporation Tax returns by using the iXBRL tagging format. What this means is that companies can no longer simply post their accounts and returns; instead, they have to file them electronically.

If you need help with filing your accounts in the right format, or you're struggling with your iXBRL submission, please contact us and we will be happy to assist you. Contact us on : +44 (0) 20 7759 7553 or

Useful links

South Africa

Cape Town

Regent Square
Doncaster Road
Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


25 Richefond Circle
Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

United Kingdom


Castlewood House
77/91 New Oxford Street
WC1A 1DG +44 (0) 20 7759 7514


5-7 Selsdon Road
South Croydon
CR2 6PU +44 (0) 20 7759 7581



9 Yarra Street
South Yarra
VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services License issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS License number 335 126).

We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.