close menu

Frequently asked questions about financial emigration

Sable International provides financial migration solutions to South Africans living abroad. Get answers to the most frequently asked questions below.

  1. Who is Sable International?
  2. What does this service do?
  3. How secure is my personal information?
  4. What is the difference between emigration and financial emigration?
  5. What happens to my South Africa citizenship if I financially emigrate?
  6. Can I return to live and work in South Africa in the future if I have financially emigrated?
  7. Why should South Africans financially emigrate?
  8. How much does it cost to financially emigrate?


Who is Sable International?

We provide professional services to private individuals, small and medium-sized businesses, and clients with international interests or links. We manage the accounting, wealth, financial, currency and nationality needs of our clients and are fully qualified to provide them with comprehensive financial solutions.

What does this service do?

Sable International's financial emigration service assists South Africans, at home or abroad, to successfully financially emigrate and recover their remaining assets in South Africa. We pride ourselves on providing a comprehensive, competitive solution with exceptional customer service.

In essence, we help South Africans withdraw their retirement annuities before they mature and transfer those funds internationally.

How secure is my personal information?

All of our clients’ data and information is treated with the utmost respect and security. It will only be used for specific actions as requested by you.

Sable International is registered and accredited with all relevant South African financial institutions and bodies.

What is the difference between emigration and financial emigration?

If you emigrate without properly notifying the South African Reserve Bank (SARB), you are classified as a South African resident living temporarily abroad. You will then be subject to the same tax laws and financial regulations as people living in South Africa.

If you wish to leave the country permanently and avoid this tax scenario, financial emigration is, in most cases, recommended. To do this, you must register your intentions with the SARB.

You will need to ensure that your tax affairs are up-to-date and in order before you submit your application and supporting documents. You may also have to submit a tax clearance certificate from the South African Revenue Service (SARS), depending on how long you have lived abroad.

If the application is successful, the SARB will issue you with a proof of emigration certificate. Once you have financially emigrated you will then be able to use a non-resident bank account to freely transfer your funds abroad.

What happens to my South African citizenship if I financially emigrate?

It is often believed that officially emigrating requires you to give up your citizenship and identity as a South African – a very emotive issue. This is incorrect.

Registering an official emigration with SARS and the SARB does not affect your South African citizenship. All that happens is that the SARB declares you a non-resident. Until such time as you actively decide to relinquish your citizenship, you will be classed as a South African citizen and will retain the right to return - and again become a resident - whenever you choose.

Can I return to live and work in South Africa in the future if I have financially emigrated?

Being declared a non-resident does not mean you are giving up your South African citizenship. Unless you formally renounce your citizenship you will always legally be South African. You are able to come back to live and work in South Africa whenever you wish.

To ensure you do so legally and without any restrictions, you will have apply to the SARB to be declared a resident once more.

Why should South Africans financially emigrate?

As long as your status is as a South African tax resident temporarily abroad - i.e. any South African abroad who has not officially (or financially) emigrated - you will not be permitted to withdraw or move any South African retirement annuities out of the country at any point.

It is possible for any South African resident to withdraw pension and provident funds prior to retirement. However, accessing retirement annuities requires you to financially emigrate.

What are your fees?

Our service assists South Africans, in South Africa or abroad, to successfully obtain a financially emigrated status and recover any remaining assets in the country. Our fees are highly competitive and we encourage clients to compare our service offering with other business in the financial emigration market.

If you are interested in financially emigrating, or recovering financial assets from South Africa, fill out our short financial emigration questionnaire and a consultant will contact you shortly.



Disclaimer: Please do not act in reliance on information published or advised without consulting a suitably qualified independent legal or other professional adviser of your own choosing. Sable International will not be liable for any direct, indirect, or consequential loss or damage suffered by any person as a result of their use or reliance on any of the advice provided by any one, or all, of the professional advisers identified by Sable International.

Contact our financial emigration team

South Africa

Regent Square
Doncaster Road
Kenilworth 7708
Cape Town
t: +27 (0) 21 657 2120

United Kingdom

Castlewood House
77/91 New Oxford Street
t: +44 (0) 20 7759 7514


Suite 8.06
9 Yarra Street
South Yarra
Melbourne VIC 3141
t: +613 (0) 86 514 500

Hong Kong

Level 1102
The Lee Gardens
33 Hysan Avenue
Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
t: +852 3959 8681

This site uses cookies, read more or close this notice.