close menu

Claim your SA trust and inheritance income

Most people in these situations fall into three broad categories:

1. You are not a South African citizen

If you can prove to the South African Reserve Bank (SARB) that you are not a South African citizen, you will be free to transfer all of your proceeds out of the country.

2. You have financially emigrated from South Africa

Financial emigration is a process whereby you make a declaration to the SARB and South African Revenue Service (SARS) that you are a non-resident in South Africa. If you have done this before you receive any bequests, capital or income, you will be free to transfer your proceeds through a blocked Rand account.

We specialise in financial emigration, so if you want to apply for this status, or wish to verify it, contact us and we’ll assist you.

3. You are a South African citizen temporarily abroad

If you are a South African living abroad who has not financially emigrated, then you will be considered as a resident “temporarily abroad” by SARS. To transfer income abroad from South Africa in this situation is a little more complex. You have two options:

  1. You can fill in our financial emigration assessment form  and get started on your financial emigration.
  2. You can remain financially domiciled in South Africa and make transfers of up to R10 million every year. If you are looking to invest these funds internationally, speak to our financial planning division for offshore investment advice.

Contact our financial emigration team

South Africa

Regent Square
Doncaster Road
Kenilworth 7708
Cape Town
t: +27 (0) 21 657 2120

United Kingdom

Castlewood House
77/91 New Oxford Street
t: +44 (0) 20 7759 7514


Suite 8.06
9 Yarra Street
South Yarra
Melbourne VIC 3141
t: +613 (0) 86 514 500

Hong Kong

Level 1102
The Lee Gardens
33 Hysan Avenue
Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
t: +852 3959 8681

This site uses cookies, read more or close this notice.