South African emigration and citizenship
Many people confuse the financial aspect of emigration with relinquishing their South African citizenship (passport) and becoming a citizen of the country in which they now reside. These are two different processes, but can, and often do, occur simultaneously.
To undergo financial emigration from South Africa you will need:
- A green bar-coded South African ID book
- Proof of permanent residence in the country where you reside
- All your tax affairs in order with SARS (we also offer tax solutions if your affairs are not in order)
With Sable International's financial emigration service, you can:
Arrange to have your annuity payments paid into any foreign account before you turn 55
- Move any inheritance payments offshore without the need for approval from the exchange control
Transfer any proceeds from assets declared during your emigration application
- Arrange to have any passive or unearned income transferred offshore
- Complete your financial emigration with the SARB
- Make sure your funds extraction and transfer are tax-efficient
Financial emigration does not affect your South African citizenship in any way. As a part of our pension service offering, we can perform a free financial assessment of your retirement savings.
Please note: After you have financially emigrated you are able to return to South Africa as a citizen in the future if you choose.