close menu

Forex services for South African residents

We facilitate currency transfers out of South Africa, through the use of the various South African Reserve Bank (SARB) discretionary and investment allowances.

Offshore investments

Invest R10 million per annum outside of South Africa

Tax-payers over the age of 18 who are South African residents are eligible for this allowance. It is mandatory to have a tax clearance certificate that is valid for 12 months to take advantage of this allowance. As of 1 April 2015, the emigration allowance increased from R4 million to R10 million per person per calendar year and R20 million per family unit.

We can help you make use of the increased allowance, free of charge. Once the tax clearance is received, the process is quick and easy.

Transfer a further R1 million for offshore investment

This allowance is due to recent changes in SARB exchange controls. South African residents can do this without an issued SARS Tax Clearance Certificate by using their annual discretionary allowance.

Offshore spending

Annual discretionary allowance

The single discretionary allowance (SDA) allows a person (18 years or older) to send a further R1 million out of South Africa annually. Various SDA subcategories were eliminated as of 1 April 2015 and the annual allowances can now be used any legal purpose abroad.

The SDA allowance allows:

  • South African residents to, without obtaining a tax clearance, either invest or advance R1 million to foreigners and South Africans living abroad
  • South African residents to spend some of the R1 million per person on overseas travel, provided that the aggregate spend does not exceed that amount per year


  • If you are a South African resident who is planning on emigrating, we can assist you in your application to an authorised dealer to assist you in transferring funds and meeting legislative requirements.
  • As an applicant, you will need to complete Form MP 336(b), providing full details of the nature and value of your assets in South Africa, as well as similar information about any liabilities which will be outstanding in South Africa after your departure.
  • Financial Intelligence Centre requirements include a South African identity document or passport, SARB formal emigration number and proof of address.

Contact our forex team

South Africa

Phone us: +27 (0) 21 657 2153

United Kingdom

South Africa

Regent Square
Doncaster Road
Kenilworth 7708
Cape Town
t: +27 (0) 21 657 2120

United Kingdom

Castlewood House
77/91 New Oxford Street
t: +44 (0) 20 7759 7514


Suite 8.06
9 Yarra Street
South Yarra
Melbourne VIC 3141
t: +613 (0) 86 514 500

Hong Kong

Level 1102
The Lee Gardens
33 Hysan Avenue
Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
t: +852 3959 8681

This site uses cookies, read more or close this notice.