close menu

Australian partner visa applications

If you are in a relationship with an Australian citizen, a permanent resident of Australia or an eligible New Zealand citizen, you might qualify for an Australian Partner visa. These are extremely popular visas.

Types of Australian Partner visas

The Australian Partner visa category is divided into various subclasses. Their classification is dependent on whether the visa is temporary or permanent as well as where the application is made.

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection assesses applications under a “combined application”. This means that your application will be assessed against the criteria for both temporary and permanent partner visas. You will be issued with the appropriate visa, depending on which criteria you meet.

Temporary partner visa

The temporary Partner visa is valid for two years, during which your relationship will be assessed to ensure that you intend to say with your partner. If your relationship passes the test, you will be granted a permanent partner visa.

Permanent partner visa

The permanent Partner visa is valid for five years. This is a permanent residence visa. After holding this for four years, you are able to apply for citizenship.

All Australian Partner visa applications are assessed on the following:

  • The financial aspects of the relationship, which includes how financial responsibilities are shared or pooled
  • The nature of the household, which includes how household tasks are divided and shared
  • Social aspects of the relationship, which includes how you are perceived as a couple in public
  • Nature of the persons’ commitment to each other, which includes the willingness to move to another country

Bringing your partner to Australia

There are four routes to bringing your partner to Australia:

  • Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) and Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100)

    Must be applied for outside of Australia

  • Partner visa (subclasses 820 and 801)

    Can be applied for within Australia

  • Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300)

    For those couple engaged to be married

  • New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) visa (subclass 461)

For those with New Zealander partners

Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) and Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100)

Any person submitting an application for a Partner visa in subclass 309/100 must be outside at the time of the application and the decision.

Usually, you will be free to travel to Australia on another visa while the application is under process. However, you will not be eligible for a Bridging visa to allow you to live and work in Australia while your current application is being processed.

Partner visa (subclasses 820 and 801)

These Partner visa are to be used when applying in Australia. To do so in Australia, you must hold a valid visa that does not contain the "no further stay" condition known as 8503. This condition would prevent you from making further applications in the country.

Applying while in Australia entitles the applicant to a Bridging visa, which allows then to live and work in Australia while the Partner visa is processed.

Applications for the Partner visa can take a year or more to process.

Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300)

The purpose of this visat is to allow the unmarried partners of Australian citizens to travel to Australia to get married. You must be outside of Australia when you apply for the visa and when it is granted.

The Prospective Marriage visa is granted for nine months and has unrestricted work rights. The visa holder is required to marry their partner and apply for the Australian Partner visa (subclass 820) before the visa expires.

This visa is often referred to as the fiancé visa and is used by unmarried individuals who cannot show that they have cohabited for 12 months.

New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) visa (subclass 461)

This visa allows a non-New Zealand family member of a New Zealand citizen, who is living in Australia, to live and work in Australia for up to five years.

This is a five year provisional visa that will not lead to permanent residence, but can be renewed onshore as required. This visa allows the holder to:

  • Work and study in Australia
  • Live in and travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted.


South Africa

Cape Town

Regent Square
Doncaster Road
Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


201 The Annex
Ridgeside Office Park
Umhlanga +27 (0) 31 536 8843

United Kingdom


Castlewood House
77/91 New Oxford Street
WC1A 1DG +44 (0) 20 7759 7514


5-7 Selsdon Road
South Croydon
CR2 6PU +44 (0) 20 7759 7581



9 Yarra Street
South Yarra
VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services License issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS License number 335 126).

Please note: Sable International is a trading name of Philip Gamble and Co. Ltd. Philip Gamble and Co. Ltd is registered in the UK with the Office of the Immigration Service Commissioner (OISC) under no. F2001-00004. Our staff based outside of the UK are not regulated by the OISC and may be involved in some client casework. However, they work to the same high standards as our UK staff and clients receive the same service regardless of which office they engage with.

This site uses cookies, read more or close this notice.