Do you qualify for a UK Ancestry visa?
The UK Ancestry visa allows you to live and work in the UK. It is issued for a period of five years. You qualify for this visa if all of the following apply:
- You are aged 17 or over
- One of your grandparents was born in the UK*
- You are a Commonwealth citizen
- You intend to seek work in the UK
- You are able to support and house yourself and any dependants without recourse to public funding
You may bring your spouse, partner and/or dependant children under the age of 18 with you to the UK. Your partner has no restrictions relating to their employment rights.
You must apply for a UK Ancestry visa from your home country. You are expected to enter the UK shortly after the visa is issued. The visa is issued for 30 days, during which time you must enter the UK and collect your biometric residence permit.
* The definition of the UK includes:
- The UK mainland (England, Wales, Scotland)
- Northern Ireland
- The Channel Islands
If you are adopted, then your adoptive grandparent would have to have been born in the UK.
Indefinite leave to remain
The UK Ancestry visa counts as qualifying time in the UK towards indefinite leave to remain (ILR). Click here for more information on indefinite leave to remain (ILR)