close menu

UK dependant visa for children

A child can come to the UK as a dependant of a parent who is a British citizen, an EU national or has the right to live and work in the UK.

We make obtaining a UK dependant visa less complex

A dependant visa is available to children of parents who have the right to move to the UK. The parents must demonstrate that they can support and accommodate the child in the UK.

In the case of a single parent applying for this visa, they must demonstrate that they have sole responsibility (rather than merely legal custody) for the child. In such circumstances, the application is made a lot more complex and specialist advice should be sought.

The criteria change depending on whether the parents are:

  • British or hold settled status
  • EU nationals
  • Non-EU nationals

Parent who is British or holds settled status in the UK

The child dependency (British or settled parent) visa arises where a child (including an adopted child or stepchild) is under the age of 18, is born outside of the UK and one (or both) of the parents is British or holds settled status in the UK.

Settled status

Settled status is most commonly held by:

  • A British citizen
  • An Irish citizen ordinarily resident in the UK
  • An EU national (or non-EU national family member) ordinarily resident in the UK holding a residence card
  • A non-EU national ordinarily resident in the UK holding indefinite leave to remain (ILR)
  • A person holding the right of abode

Parent who is an EU national

The EEA family permit covers a child under the age of 21, born outside of the UK and where one (or both) of the parents is a European Union (EU) national. The EU parent(s) must demonstrate that they are exercising their EU treaty rights in the UK.

Parent who is a non-EU national

The dependant child visa is available where a child is under 18, born outside of the UK and one (or both) of the parents holds a valid visa allowing them to live in the UK. In addition, the parent(s) must meet the maintenance requirement which varies depending on the visa class and the number of children.


Contact our immigration team

Phone us (SA): +27 (0) 21 657 2180

Phone us (UK): +44 (0) 20 7759 7580

South Africa

Regent Square
Doncaster Road
Kenilworth 7708
Cape Town
t: +27 (0) 21 657 2120

United Kingdom

Castlewood House
77/91 New Oxford Street
t: +44 (0) 20 7759 7514


Suite 8.06
9 Yarra Street
South Yarra
Melbourne VIC 3141
t: +613 (0) 86 514 500

Hong Kong

Level 1102
The Lee Gardens
33 Hysan Avenue
Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
t: +852 3959 8681

This site uses cookies, read more or close this notice.