close menu

UK Sole Representative visa

What is sometimes called the sole representative visa is available to a senior employee from outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland. It allows this person to act as the sole representative of a company in the UK and apply for the Representative of an Overseas Business visa.

Qualify to live and work in the UK. Contact our consultants.

The application process for this visa is often complex. You will need to provide extensive documentation to show that the company you wish to represent requires a sole overseas representative.

To be considered for this visa, you must:

  • Be recruited and employed outside of the UK by an overseas company*
  • Have extensive industry-related experience and knowledge
  • Hold a senior position within the company and have full authority to make decisions on its behalf**
  • Intend to establish the company’s first commercial presence in the UK

Depending on which passport you hold, you may need to prove your knowledge of the English language. This will usually be done by:

  • Passing an approved English language test
  • Holding an academic qualification that was taught in English***

* The headquarters and main place of business must be outside of the UK.
** You may not be a major shareholder of this company.
*** The qualification must be recognised by UK NARIC as being equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree.

Family members of the visa holder

If you have family members that you would like to travel with you, they may enter the UK as your dependants.

Children are entitled to the same educational rights as British citizens and your spouse may wish to take up lawful employment.

Extending your visa

This visa is initially valid for three years. If your visa expires and you find that you need to stay for longer than this, you can extend you visa for up to two years.

If you have dependants who are on your current visa, they should be included on your application to extend - including children who have turned 18 during your stay.

After you have been in the UK for five years and have had an ongoing job with the same company, you are able to apply for indefinite leave to remain.


South Africa

Cape Town

Regent Square
Doncaster Road
Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


201 The Annex
Ridgeside Office Park
Umhlanga +27 (0) 31 536 8843

United Kingdom


Castlewood House
77/91 New Oxford Street
WC1A 1DG +44 (0) 20 7759 7514


5-7 Selsdon Road
South Croydon
CR2 6PU +44 (0) 20 7759 7581



9 Yarra Street
South Yarra
VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services License issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS License number 335 126).

Please note: Sable International is a trading name of Philip Gamble and Co. Ltd. Philip Gamble and Co. Ltd is registered in the UK with the Office of the Immigration Service Commissioner (OISC) under no. F2001-00004. Our staff based outside of the UK are not regulated by the OISC and may be involved in some client casework. However, they work to the same high standards as our UK staff and clients receive the same service regardless of which office they engage with.

This site uses cookies, read more or close this notice.