close menu

Move to the UK as an EU national

European (EU) nationals can exercise their EU treaty rights by moving to the UK to live and work. They can bring their partner and dependent children under the age of 18 to accompany them.

Irish citizens

Irish citizens are afforded a special status in UK immigration and British nationality law which pre-dates EU law. Irish citizens can travel freely into and out of the UK without restriction.

Irish citizens are:

  • Not required to exercise EU treaty rights (to be a student, work or be self-sufficient)
  • Considered “settled” upon entry in the UK
  • Not required to obtain a residence card before qualifying for naturalisation

More on Irish nationals moving to the UK.

All other European Union (EU) nationals

As a non-Irish EU national, to remain legally in the UK you need to be exercising EU treaty rights. This would require that you are either a student, working or otherwise self-sufficient.

Examples of potential issues are:

  • An EU woman is on maternity leave (i.e. not working) and does not return to work
  • An EU national is not in employment or is looking for work

On 27 October 2015, new regulations were passed to prevent EU nationals applying for British nationality if they do not first hold permanent residency.

After a period of five continuous years of residency in the UK, you can apply for your permanent residence card (as long as you meet the set of criteria). You can then naturalise as a British citizen after a further 12 months. Click here for more information on naturalisation of EU nationals.

But what about Brexit?

Given the recent Brexit vote and the likelihood that the UK will exit the European Union over the coming years, the status of those EU nationals living in the UK is unclear.

In order to secure your rights to live and work in the UK, we would urge you to regularise your residency status in the UK and obtain your permanent residence card as soon as you qualify for it.


South Africa

Cape Town

Regent Square
Doncaster Road
Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


201 The Annex
Ridgeside Office Park
Umhlanga +27 (0) 31 536 8843

United Kingdom


Castlewood House
77/91 New Oxford Street
WC1A 1DG +44 (0) 20 7759 7514


5-7 Selsdon Road
South Croydon
CR2 6PU +44 (0) 20 7759 7581



9 Yarra Street
South Yarra
VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services License issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS License number 335 126).

Please note: Sable International is a trading name of Philip Gamble and Co. Ltd. Philip Gamble and Co. Ltd is registered in the UK with the Office of the Immigration Service Commissioner (OISC) under no. F2001-00004. Our staff based outside of the UK are not regulated by the OISC and may be involved in some client casework. However, they work to the same high standards as our UK staff and clients receive the same service regardless of which office they engage with.

This site uses cookies, read more or close this notice.