close menu

UK Family visa - Partners of EU nationals

A European Union (EU) national can bring their spouse or partner to the UK on a six month EEA Family Permit. In many ways it is easier for the partner of an EU national who is resident in the UK to get a visa as a result of this relationship. If you are in a relationship with an EU national who is living in the UK you should definitely investigate your options.

EEA family permit

The EEA family permit covers three different partner statuses:

  • Married partner
  • Unmarried partner
  • Fiancé

The marriage or relationship may be heterosexual or same-sex. The visa, which is initially issued for six months, allows the partner to work without restriction in the UK. You may also exit and re-enter the country multiple times.

In order to apply for the visa, you must:

  • Have met (not just online)
  • Intend to live together permanently
  • Intend moving to the UK within six months
  • Have satisfactory accommodation and financial resources in the UK

You must apply for the visa outside of the UK in your home country.

During the six months, the partner or spouse can apply for an EEA Family Residence Card, which is valid for five years.

Contact our immigration team

Phone us (SA): +27 (0) 21 657 2180

Phone us (UK): +44 (0) 20 7759 7580

South Africa

Regent Square
Doncaster Road
Kenilworth 7708
Cape Town
t: +27 (0) 21 657 2120

United Kingdom

Castlewood House
77/91 New Oxford Street
t: +44 (0) 20 7759 7514


Suite 8.06
9 Yarra Street
South Yarra
Melbourne VIC 3141
t: +613 (0) 86 514 500

Hong Kong

Level 1102
The Lee Gardens
33 Hysan Avenue
Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
t: +852 3959 8681

This site uses cookies, read more or close this notice.