close menu

UK visa extensions

Extending your UK visa can be a tricky exercise, particularly if you have dependant children on your visa. Even relatively straightforward extensions for common visas can go horribly wrong if you do not submit the required documentation at the correct time. That's why we're here to help, our UK visa specialists will take the stress and hassle out of your extension application.

We can assist with the following visa extensions:

  1. Ancestry visas
  2. Spousal/partner visas
  3. Tier 2 visa
  4. Student visa


Extend your Ancestry visa

You can extend your Ancestry visa by five years if required. You will have to do this from within the UK, and you will need to ensure that any children who are under 18 who are dependant on your visa apply at the same time as you.

Read more

Decisions typically take about eight weeks for postal applications, and only 24-hours if you use the premium service. To avoid encountering any delays, ensure all your documents are in the correct order. The Home Office often requires applicants to provide supporting evidence if their case is, for whatever reason, more complex. In extreme cases you may be required to attend an interview to assess your eligibility for an extension.

As part of your application you will need to pay the immigration health surcharge as well as get a biometric residence permit.

Extend your visa

Extend a partner, spouse of fiancée’s visa

When it comes to the extension of your spouse, partner or fiance’s visa you can only apply to extend their visa 28 days before it expires. There are also different rules that govern applications made while you are in the UK and while you are outside the UK.

Read more

Because of these complexities, especially when children are involved, it is often necessary to get a professional to look at your circumstances so that you do not make a costly, and potentially disastrous, error on your extension application.

You can expect a decision on your extension application to arrive in 8 weeks if you applied using the standard application. There is also a speed service which will give you a decision on your partner’s visa extension within 24 hours.

Extend your visa

Extend your Tier 2 visa

The type of Tier 2 visa you hold will determine how you must apply to extend your stay in the UK. All applications will be judged in a multi-faceted way, with your employment situation, your salary and your continued sponsorship by your current employer all being relevant. You must also be present in the UK to extend your visa.

Read more

The Home Office will require solid evidence of all of the above as well as your biometric information. If everything is in order, you can extend your Tier 2 (General) visa to complete the five years required for Indefinite leave to remain. Applications are generally answered within eight weeks for the standard service or within 10 days if you are eligible for the Tier 2 priority application service.

As with other visas, if the Home Office determines that your application is more complex, they will contact you for more information. In these situations, it pays to have been adequately prepared so that you can answer their questions correctly and quickly, minimising the chances of you being rejected.

If you are changing your job you will need to do so very carefully. Making the wrong application can get you sent back to your home country. Make sure to chat to a professional before you find yourself in a sticky situation.

Extend your visa

Extending your student visa

To extend your Tier 4 (General) student visa, you must be in the UK and have a sponsor. Just like when you applied for your initial student visa, you can only be sponsored by a UK, or overseas, higher education institute, certain colleges or an independent school.

Read more

You must apply to extend within six months of receiving your confirmation of acceptance for studies and before your current visa expires. Do note: You cannot apply to extend your visa more than three months before your next course’s start date.

When extending your visa, you will need to pay the immigration health surcharge, provide detailed documentation to prove you are going to continue to be a student in the UK, and provide all your biometric data so you can get your biometric residence permit.

Your application will take up to eight weeks, but you can use a priority service which will get you your result in 10 days, or you can use the premium service which will get you an answer on the same day. To use the premium service, you’ll need to go to one of the premium service centres in person.

If you have any children under 18 living in the UK on your Tier 4 student visa, then you must apply for their extensions at the same time.

The process is much the same for those who are in the UK on a Tier 4 (Child) student visa. If you have any questions about renewing a child’s student visa, do not hesitate to contact our UK visa experts.

Extend your visa

Do you need to apply for a family member?

While we can help you with your family members’ applications, all visas are applied for on an individual basis. We can handle all of your applications at once and ensure that they are processed at the same time where possible.

Has your visa expired?

If your visa has already expired we may be able to help. This is a last resort and you should always ensure your visa is renewed within good time.

More information on overstayers.


Fill in the form below and a UK visa expert will be in touch shortly

Immigration and financial news directly to your inbox

South Africa

Cape Town
Regent Square
Doncaster Road
Kenilworth 7708
t: +27 (0) 21 657 2120

201 The Annex
Ridgeside Office Park
t: +27 (0) 31 536 8843

United Kingdom

Castlewood House
77/91 New Oxford Street
t: +44 (0) 20 7759 7514

5-7 Selsdon Road
South Croydon
t: +44 (0) 20 7759 7581


9 Yarra Street
South Yarra
VIC 3141
t: +613 (0) 86 514 500

This site uses cookies, read more or close this notice.