close menu

UK long residency concession

To be granted this status, you will have had at least 20 years' continuous residence in the UK. There are several caveats to this, so read through the information below and do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about the long residency concession.

Long residency concession requirements

The 20 year period excludes any period spent in the UK following service of notice of liability to removal or notice of a decision to remove.

There is no requirement to have held a valid UK visa. In other words, time spent in the UK may include illegal residency.

Once you have received this concession, you will be allowed to obtain a two and a half year residency visa, which you can renew three times (i.e. hold for a total of ten years). At the end of the ten years, you can then apply for indefinite leave to remain.

Someone who is aged over 18 but under 25 and has lived in the UK continuously for half their life can also apply under this route. As above, they will be given four sets of leave to remain for two and a half years. Once they have had leave to remain for 10 years they can apply for indefinite leave to remain.

These cases can be quite sensitive. Know that our experienced team will handle your application with the highest degree of professionalism and discretion.


South Africa

Cape Town

Regent Square
Doncaster Road
Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


201 The Annex
Ridgeside Office Park
Umhlanga +27 (0) 31 536 8843

United Kingdom


Castlewood House
77/91 New Oxford Street
WC1A 1DG +44 (0) 20 7759 7514


5-7 Selsdon Road
South Croydon
CR2 6PU +44 (0) 20 7759 7581



9 Yarra Street
South Yarra
VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services License issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS License number 335 126).

Please note: Sable International is a trading name of Philip Gamble and Co. Ltd. Philip Gamble and Co. Ltd is registered in the UK with the Office of the Immigration Service Commissioner (OISC) under no. F2001-00004. Our staff based outside of the UK are not regulated by the OISC and may be involved in some client casework. However, they work to the same high standards as our UK staff and clients receive the same service regardless of which office they engage with.

This site uses cookies, read more or close this notice.