close menu

Apply for Australian citizenship

We’re experts in helping people from around the world with Australian immigration and citizenship. If you’re in Australia on a visa, we can help you gain citizenship Down Under. So whether you’re planning to make the move to Australia, or already there, we can help you develop and implement a citizenship plan.

Australian citizenship consultants since 1995

Find out what you need to know about the following routes to Australian citizenship:

  • Birth in Australia
  • Citizenship by descent
  • Citizenship through residency

Birth in Australia

If you were born in Australia between 26 January 1949 and 20 August 1986, then an application can be made for Australian citizenship. Once that is approved, you may apply for an Australian passport.

A birth in Australia after 20 August 1986 does not automatically result in Australian citizenship, as the nationality and status of the parents will dictate whether a claim to citizenship can be made.

For example:

  • Children born to foreign diplomats resident in Australia do not acquire Australian citizenship

  • Children born in Australia to persons on a temporary visa (like the Temporary Skilled Shortage visa) are not Australian by birth and would need to obtain a visa to regulate their stay in Australia

We’re experts in helping people from around the world

Australian passports

Citizenship by descent

If you are born to an Australian citizen (i.e. one of your parents was an Australian citizen at the time of your birth), then you are entitled to claim Australian citizenship, irrespective of your country of birth.

If a parent subsequently loses their Australian citizenship for whatever reason, you continue to remain an Australian citizen.

A person becomes a citizen on the date they are registered as a citizen by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). A certificate of Australian citizenship is issued at the time of registration. This is referred to as Australian citizenship by descent.

Citizenship through residency

Australian citizenship can be granted after a period of continuous residency (four years) in Australia on a qualifying visa, including 12 months as a permanent resident.

Examples of visas and statuses that qualify for continuous residency include:

Examples of visas and statuses that do not qualify for continuous residency include:

  • Illegal residency

  • Student visas

  • Tourist visas

  • Non-eligible New Zealand citizens (including their partner or family members)

  • Investor retirement visas

  • Business long stay visas

To qualify for Australian citizenship, you must:

  • Pass the Australian citizenship test (unless over the age of 60)

  • Be a permanent resident at the time of application, and also, at time of decision

  • Satisfy the residence requirement

  • Be likely to reside, or to continue to reside, in Australia or to maintain a close and continuing association with Australia

  • Be of good character

Contact a Citizenship expert

Fill in the form below and we'll get back to you shortly.

Please include your country code
Contact me via:


GDPR regulations give you more rights about personal information and hold those that breach them to account, so we're all for it.

If at any point you would like to opt out of receiving communication from us, you can do so using the unsubscribe option. We promise to honour your request.

South Africa

Cape Town

Regent Square
Doncaster Road
Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


25 Richefond Circle
Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

United Kingdom


One Croydon
12-16 Addiscombe Road
Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



9 Yarra Street
South Yarra
VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

Please note: Sable International is a trading name of Philip Gamble and Co. Ltd. Philip Gamble and Co. Ltd is registered in the UK with the Office of the Immigration Service Commissioner (OISC) under no. F2001-00004. Our staff based outside of the UK are not regulated by the OISC and may be involved in some client casework. However, they work to the same high standards as our UK staff and clients receive the same service regardless of which office they engage with.

We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.