16 and over: Student visa
If you wish to attend university or college in the UK, this is the visa you’ll need. The Tier 4 (General) visa has been replaced with a points-based system. You will need at least 70 points to be eligible for this visa. Points are awarded for the following:
- Confirmation of acceptance for studies from an approved educational institution
- Proof of sufficient funds to pay for the course and to support yourself
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Have consent from your parents if you’re 16 or 17
You may be able to remain in the UK after you’ve completed your studies, if you’re studying at masters or doctorate level.
You may study for up to six months on a visitor visa at an accredited institution, or take “recreational courses” at any institution for up to 30 days.
Under 18: Child Student visa
The Child Student visa lets children between the ages of four and 17 study full-time at an independent school in the UK.
To qualify for this visa, you must:
- Have an unconditional place on a course
- Have the consent of your parent or guardian
- Have enough money to cover your course fees and living costs
There are some strict rules about what you can and cannot do on a Child Student visa. Our registered immigration advisors can assist you in understanding the requirements and ensure you make a successful application.