Year-end financial statements

Your year-end financial statements cover your past financial year and declare your Corporation Tax liability. We will help you to meet this filing obligation and review your accounts with you. This will also help us to advise you of any changes that you can implement to increase your tax efficiency.

Prepare your annual year-end financial statements

Submit them electronically to the HMRC and Companies House

Prepare your Corporation Tax return and its supporting workings

Send the electronic submission to HMRC

Prepare your audit file in preparation for your end-of-year audit (if required)

SME tax services: Our accountants can help your business with UK tax related matters

Our accounts and tax services include a variety of offerings for small and medium-sized enterprises. Knowing your tax obligations throughout the year as well as the biggest deadlines is very important. We can help with the following:

SME tax services

HMRC self-assessment: Filing personal tax returns

Over 10 million taxpayers must file a personal tax return. Are you one of them? Do you have rental income or any other sources of income that you need to declare on your personal tax returns? Do you know how to prepare personal tax returns?

You must complete a Self Assessment tax return if any of the following criteria apply to you:

  • You are self-employed
  • You are a company director
  • You receive income from overseas
  • You have Capital Gains Tax to pay
  • You have an annual income of £100,000 or more
  • You have income from trusts, settlements and estates
  • You have income from savings, investment or property
  • You have a rental property in the UK but live elsewhere

Sable International can help you with your tax returns by:

Preparing sole trader accounts

Preparing partnership accounts

Preparing self-assessment/ personal tax returns

Preparing partnership tax returns

Filing these returns online

Advising on tax liability and due dates

We offer specialist, personalised, end-to-end accounting and tax advice

Filing accounts using iXBRL

Since April 2011, all UK limited companies need to file accounts and Corporation Tax returns by using the iXBRL tagging format. This means that companies can no longer simply post their accounts and returns; instead, they have to file them electronically. If you need help with filing your accounts in the right format, or you're struggling with your iXBRL submission, please contact us and we will be happy to assist you.

Making Tax Digital

The Making Tax Digital (MTD) initiative is aiming to simplify the UK’s tax system, but many business owners feel that it is going to complicate their tax affairs and ultimately end up costing them more. The good news is that this shouldn’t be the case if you’re properly prepared.

The revised timeline for MTD is:

We stay at the forefront of all HMRC changes, and we can take care of all your reporting requirements; From making sure reports are in the correct digital format to submitting them on time. This allows you to focus on your business without having to worry if you’re up to date with all of your HMRC filing obligations. What’s more, HMRC will deal with our accountants should any issues arise with your accounts.

We offer specialist, personalised, end-to-end accounting and tax advice

Important tax deadlines for UK companies

Download this table

Tax/other obligationDeadlinePenalty
Corporation Tax return12 months after end of accounting period Depends on how late:
  • 1 day: £100
  • 3 months: another £100
  • 6 months: 10% of unpaid tax
  • 12 months: another 10% of unpaid tax
  • If late more than 3 times in a row the £100 penalties increase to £500.
Corporation Tax Payment9 months and 1 day after end of accounting period (unless taxable profits over £1.5m then have to pay instalments) No penalty for late payment, but interest charged at 3%.
VAT (if registered)1 month and 7 days after quarter end Surcharges can apply if you don’t file (or pay in full) by the deadline more than once in a 12 month period.

Level of surcharge depends on turnover and number of failures, ranging from 2% to 15% of the VAT outstanding.
PAYE (if an employer) RTI returnOn or before payment made to an employee
  • Can be up to 3 days late without penalty.
  • Special rules apply in numerous situations.
  • Penalty can be £100 per 50 employees for each month.
PAYE/NI payment22nd of each month unless arranged for a quarterly or annual scheme             Late monthly and quarterly payments:
  • 1% to 4% of late amount depending on how many more times a payment is made late
  • No penalty if only one payment is late in any tax year, unless more than six months late
  • 5% if more than six months late
  • A further 5% if still not paid after 12 months
Employment Related Securities annual returns: Eg. Form 42, EMI40, etc 6 July following the end of the tax year Depends on how late:
  • 1 day: £100
  • 3 months: £300
  • 6 months: £300
  • 9 months: £10 a day
Continued failure may also lead to daily penalties.
Employment Intermediaries quarterly returns 5 August
5 November
5 February
5 May
Depends on number of late filings in 12 month period:
  • First: £250
  • Second: £500
  • Third and subsequent: £1,000
Continued failure may also lead to daily penalties.
Companies House: Annual filing of accounts 9 months after end of financial year (6 months if public company) Depends on how late:
  • Up to 1 month: £150
  • 1 - 3 months: £375
  • 3 -6 months: £750
  • Over 6 months: £1,500
Penalties are doubled if late more han 2 years in a row.

P11D Expenses and benefits 

When someone gets employment benefits from work, such as company cars, rail season tickets, private health insurance etc., then filing a P11D form is how their employer tell the HMRC how much these benefits were worth. A P11D will list the equivalent cash value of benefits and expenses that have been provided during the tax year. 

Form P11D is filed by employers. In some cases, self-employed freelancers and contractors might have to file them for themselves. It’s possible to be both an employer and an employee in the same business. 

Submit your P11D forms online to HMRC 6 July following the end of the tax year 
Give your employees a copy of the information on your forms
6 July 
Tell HMRC the total amount of Class 1A National Insurance you owe on form P11D(b) 
6 July 
Pay any Class 1A National Insurance owed on expenses or benefits
Must reach HMRC by 22 July 
If you have a PAYE Settlement Agreement pay tax and Class 1B National InsuranceMust reach HMRC by 22 October
Pay any PAYE tax or Class 1 National Insurance owed on expenses or benefitsPay monthly through payroll

After two weeks penalties will start to kick in. You’ll get a penalty of £100 per 50 employees for each month or part month your P11D(b) is late. You’ll also be charged penalties and interest if you’re late paying HMRC.

Useful links

  • HMRC has all the important information on UK tax requirements
  • Companies House is the register of all companies in England and Wales

Get in touch

Fill in your details below and one of our consultants will be in touch as soon as they are able.