close menu

Get a UK dependant visa for children

A child can come to the UK as a dependant of a parent who is a British citizen, an EU national or has the right to live and work in the UK. We can assist you in making your application and ensuring it's successful, first time.

Requirements for a UK dependant visa

If a single parent applies for this visa they must show that they have sole responsibility (rather than merely legal custody) for the child. In such circumstances, the application is more complex and specialist advice should be sought.

The criteria change depending on whether the parents are:

  • British or hold settled status
  • EU nationals
  • Non-EU nationals

What is settled status in the UK?

Settled status is most commonly held by:

  • A British citizen
  • An Irish citizen ordinarily resident in the UK
  • An EU national (or non-EU national family member) ordinarily resident in the UK holding permanent residency
  • A non-EU national ordinarily resident in the UK holding indefinite leave to remain (ILR)
  • A person holding the right of abode

When the parent is an EU national

The EEA family permit covers a child under the age of 18, born outside of the UK and where one (or both) of the parents is a European Union (EU) national. The EU parent(s) must demonstrate that they are exercising their EU treaty rights in the UK.

When the parent is a non-EU national

The UK child visa is available where a child is under 18, born outside of the UK and one (or both) of the parents holds a valid visa allowing them to live in the UK. In addition, the parent(s) must meet the maintenance requirement which varies depending on the visa class and the number of children.

Contact an immigration expert

Fill in the form below and we'll get back to you shortly.

Get expert insights and important updates


GDPR regulations give you more rights about personal information and hold those that breach them to account, so we're all for it.

If at any point you would like to opt out of receiving communication from us, you can do so using the unsubscribe option. We promise to honour your request.

South Africa

Cape Town

Regent Square
Doncaster Road
Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


25 Richefond Circle
Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

United Kingdom


One Croydon
12-16 Addiscombe Road
Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



9 Yarra Street
South Yarra
VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

Please note: Sable International is a trading name of Philip Gamble and Co. Ltd. Philip Gamble and Co. Ltd is registered in the UK with the Office of the Immigration Service Commissioner (OISC) under no. F2001-00004. Our staff based outside of the UK are not regulated by the OISC and may be involved in some client casework. However, they work to the same high standards as our UK staff and clients receive the same service regardless of which office they engage with.

We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.