close menu

Tax form guide

HMRC requires information contained on the P45, P60 and P11D forms before they will approve a tax refund claim. These tax forms are usually given to you by your employer or sent to HMRC.

What is a P45 form?

You will receive a P45 form from an employer if you leave their employ during the course of the tax year. The P45 indicates how much tax has been paid by an employee during the relevant tax year.

The form has multiple parts that are all sent to and kept by different parties:

  • Part 1 is sent to HMRC
  • Part 2 and Part 3 are given to your new employer *
  • Part 1A must be kept for your own records

* If you are unemployed, this will be sent to Jobcentre Plus.

p45 form

What is a P60 form?

The P60 form indicates the amount of tax an employee has paid during the tax year and is mainly used to calculate overpaid tax. It must be issued by your employer by 31 May.

This form can also be used as proof of income for loan or mortgage applications.

P60 form

What is a P11D form?

Employers must send a P11D to HMRC outlining any benefits in kind received by particular employees, such as company cars or private medical insurance. This form indicates the value of each benefit.

The P11D form must be sent to HMRC by 6 July and the employee should receive a copy of the form or a notice of its contents.

p11d form

South Africa

Cape Town

Regent Square
Doncaster Road
Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


25 Richefond Circle
Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8844

United Kingdom


One Croydon
12-16 Addiscombe Road
Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



9 Yarra Street
South Yarra
VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

Sable International is not affiliated with HMRC, we assist you in making your tax return.
Read about our tax refund service.

Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.