Disclaimer: We cannot assist with finding employment for the Health and Care Worker visa. You must have a confirmed job offer before you apply for your visa.

What is the UK Health and Care Worker visa?

The Health and Care Worker visa is a specific Skilled Worker visa centred around healthcare workers. While both visas provide a way to live and work in the UK through your occupation, the Health and Care Worker visa has no minimum education level, has lower application costs and applicants don’t pay the annual health surcharge.

Despite the use of “care” in the title, the Health and Care Worker visa does not include senior and child care workers and they will need to  apply for the Skilled Worker visa.

You must score 70 points on the points-based immigration system, 50 of those points are mandatory and the other 20 points can be made up from what is known as tradeable points.

How points are allocated for the Health and Care Worker visa:

Job offer by approved sponsorFixed20
Job at the appropriate skill level (RQF 3 and above)Fixed20
English at the required levelFixed10
Salary criteria - one can be chosen from the following:  
Salary of £20,480 but in listed health/education job that meets the relevant national pay scale*Tradeable20
Salary of £20,480 (minimum) to £23,039Tradeable0
Salary of £23,040 to £25,599Tradeable10
Salary of £25,600 or aboveTradeable20
Other Criteria - one can be chosen from the following:  
Job in a shortage occupationTradeable20
Education qualification: PhD in a subject relevant to the jobTradeable10
Education qualification: PhD in a STEM subject relevant to the jobTradeable20
Applicant is a new entrant to the job marketTradeable20

How long is the Health and Care Worker visa valid for?

Your visa can last for up to five years before you need to extend it. You’ll need to apply to extend or update your visa when it expires or if you change jobs or employer.

Does the Health and Care Worker visa lead to settlement?

You can apply to extend your visa as many times as you like as long as you still meet the eligibility requirements.

After five years, you may be able to apply to settle permanently in the UK. Known as indefinite leave to remain (ILR), this gives you the right to live, work and study in the UK for as long as you like, and apply for some benefits if you’re eligible.  After a year of holding ILR, you may be eligible for UK citizenship.

How much does the Health and Care Worker visa cost?

While you will not need to pay the health surcharge, there are visa fees that need to be paid. You’ll need to have enough money to:

  • Pay the application fee (£247 if your CoS is for less than three years and £479 for more than three years)
  • Support yourself when you arrive in the UK – you’ll usually need to have at least £1,270 available (unless your employer is supporting you during the initial period. This will need to be detailed on your CoS)

Can I bring my partner and dependants with me?

Your partner and children can apply to join you or to stay in the UK as your dependants if they’re eligible. If their application is successful, their visa will end on the same date as yours.

You must be able to prove that either you’re in a civil partnership or marriage that’s recognised in the UK, or that you’ve been living together in a relationship for at least two years when you apply.

If your child is 16 or over, they must:

  • Live with you (unless they’re in full-time education at boarding school, college or university)
  • Not be married, in a civil partnership or have any children
  • Be financially supported by you

You will also need to show that you are able to support your partner and children while in the UK. You will need:

  • £285 for your partner
  • £315 for one child
  • £200 for each additional child

How long does the Health and Care Worker visa take to process?

You can apply for a visa up to three months before the day you are due to start work in the UK. This date is listed on your certificate of sponsorship.

Once you’ve applied online, proved your identity and provided your documents, you’ll usually get a decision on your visa within three weeks.

How can Sable International help?

We offer the following services:

  • Our visa consultants can determine whether you’re eligible for the visa you wish to apply for.
  • They will advise you, deal with the Home Office on your behalf and guide your visa application every step of the way.
  • We can help employers get their sponsorship licences in order to issue certificates of sponsorship.

Get in touch

Have any other questions about the Health and Care Worker visa? Our team can guide you through the process, step by step.

Authorised to practise immigration law by the OISC under Registration No F200100004.