close menu

Dormant companies can attract £1,000 late filing penalties

by 1st Contact | Jun 23, 2014
  • Many people are under the impression that dormant companies can be forgotten about, that they need not file a Corporate Tax Return and that they will incur no penalties for failure to submit one. This is simply not true and you should take care to avoid incurring unnecessary penalties.
    When you set up a new limited company, there will normally be some time that the company is dormant; in other words, where no trading happens. HMRC takes a practical approach to this and doesn’t expect you to send a Corporate Tax Return until the company becomes active. The same applies when the company has stopped activity.

    The problem, of course, is that HMRC doesn’t know that your company is dormant. They will assume that you are operating from the time you register your company with Companies House.

    If they are not aware that your company is dormant, they will expect a return; the fine for not submitting can be up to £1000. If you don’t receive a return, it doesn't mean that HMRC knows your company is dormant. If you don’t tell HMRC and don’t submit a form, they will fine you.

    How can you prevent this from happening?

    In the case of a recently-formed company, you need to complete and submit Form CT41G, stating that your company is still dormant.

    In the event that your company has ceased activity, you’ll need to write to the tax office that handles your company’s Corporate Tax.

    If you have told HMRC that your company is dormant, you will then need to let them know when the activity starts or resumes – once again by submitting Form CT41G.

    It's important to note that there is a difference between an inactive and a dormantcompany. According to HMRC, a company is inactive “if it has no significant accounting transactions”. So a company that was started with - for instance - £1500 of share capital, which is placed in an account that pays interest, is not considered inactive.

    If you want to guarantee dormant status to avoid having to submit returns, keep all of your company’s money in a non-interest producing account. But remember that even if you don’t need to submit a Corporate Tax Return to HMRC, you must still submit annual accounts to Companies House, albeit in a shortened format.

    If you decide that you are not going to do anything with your company, let Companies House know to strike it off. In most instances, even if you have been told to pay a late filing penalty, you can avoid paying the penalty by submitting a DS01 form (with the £10 fee) and applying to get the company dissolved. This will not in any way affect your ability to form a limited company in the future.

    For expert assistance with tax and accounting matters, or to form your own limited company – absolutely free – visit 1st Contact Accounting.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • business plan
      Step-by-step guide to writing a business plan [template included]
      Aug 29, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • female-entrepreneur hot air balloon
      Why we need more women-owned businesses
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • crowdfunding lightbulb
      7 ways to finance your small business
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Businessman looking to the future
      How to get your business ready for the future
      Jun 19, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Guide to UK PAYE tax forms
      A guide to UK PAYE tax forms P45, P60 and P11D
      Jun 14, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Cut-taxes
      The 2019/20 tax year changes: What they mean for you
      Jun 10, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • confused
      Do you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return?
      May 29, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Tax refund money
      11 excellent ways to spend your UK tax refund
      Apr 09, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • London-business
      The UK still the best country for business in 2019
      Apr 04, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Contractor choosing door
      Contractor insurance: Choosing the right cover for your risks
      Mar 12, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.