close menu

How contractors can avoid IR35

by 1st Contact | Aug 28, 2015
  • In the last few years, HMRC have increased the enforcement of IR35 provisions to ensure that only those with a status of “self-employed” (as per their definition) receive the tax breaks they are entitled to. This article will take a look at some basic steps you can take towards ensuring your contracts remain IR35 friendly.

    What is IR35?

    IR35 refers to legislation designed to combat tax avoidance in the UK. It is specifically focussed on partnerships and limited liability companies that may not be paying the tax and National Insurance contributions that they should.

    How to avoid IR35

    Being a self-employed contractor offers a degree of freedom that full-time employees do not have. If you’re a contractor and you want to ensure you avoid IR35 and remain eligible for tax breaks, take note of the following points relating to the contract between a limited company and its client:

    • The contract must be made out to the limited company and not to an individual employee.
    • The contract should be signed by the director or an authorised representative of the company.
    • There must be an end date and/or information explaining the termination clauses.
    • The contract must clearly state that the limited company is solely responsible for paying all of the correct taxes.
    • The contract needs to include clauses relating to liability and the responsibility for the company to provide the necessary insurances.
    • Clauses relating to the possibility that the company may have to provide its own equipment should also be included in the contract.
    • If the contract contains a substitution clause, which allows an approved representative to carry out work on its behalf, the HMRC is known to pay close attention to such provisions.

    HMRC investigations

    IR35 was primarily set up to identify people who have been working for the same company for more than 6-12 months and who have been in the same role for medium to long term periods. In light of this, and from our experience, we have identified three key areas that HMRC’s investigations tend to focus on:

    • The terms of your contract as well as the length of time for which you have been contracting with the same company.
    • The period for which you have filled your current role (i.e. do you move divisions or are you in the same division).
    • Whether you must supply your own equipment for the job.

    We recommend that if our clients are unsure of their IR35 status, they have their contract(s) reviewed by a specialist to ensure their work falls outside the scope of IR35.

    If you are unsure whether or not your contract falls outside the scope of IR35, you should contact 1st Contact Accounting for further assistance. Give us a call on 0808 141 1643 or send us an email by clicking here.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Man cutting coin with table saw
      10 cost saving ideas for your small business
      Nov 20, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Confused businessman
      Hiring your first employee for your UK business? This is how much it costs
      Oct 31, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • business plan
      Step-by-step guide to writing a business plan [template included]
      Aug 29, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • female-entrepreneur hot air balloon
      Why we need more women-owned businesses
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • crowdfunding lightbulb
      7 ways to finance your small business
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Businessman looking to the future
      How to get your business ready for the future
      Jun 19, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Guide to UK PAYE tax forms
      A guide to UK PAYE tax forms P45, P60 and P11D
      Jun 14, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Cut-taxes
      The 2019/20 tax year changes: What they mean for you
      Jun 10, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • confused
      Do you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return?
      May 29, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Tax refund money
      11 excellent ways to spend your UK tax refund
      Apr 09, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8844

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.