close menu

How to check if you’re on the right tax code

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Oct 31, 2016
  • It may look like a random assortment of numbers and letters, but your tax code plays a vital role in determining how much of your hard-earned cash you have to hand over to HMRC. Here’s how to check that you aren’t paying more than you should.

    While HMRC does their best to give you the correct tax code, they issue over 20 million codes each year – so there’s room for error. If you’re on the wrong tax code, it’s your responsibility to report it and have it corrected. There are a number of factors that can influence your tax code, with changes in retirement and savings policies largely responsible.

    Know how to read your tax code

    Before you are able to see if you’re on the wrong tax code, you’ll need to be able to read and understand it. Let’s take a look at this in more detail.


    The numbers represent your Personal Allowance figure. This is how much you can earn before you need to start paying income tax. For example, someone with a tax code of 1100L can earn £11,000 before having to pay tax.

    An easy way to work this out is to put a “£” in front of the numbers and a “0” after them.

    The Personal Allowance figure usually changes on 6 April, at the start of each financial year, so it’s a good idea to keep an eye out for this.


    The letters in your tax code follow the number and all have their own meaning:

    Letters Meaning Reasoning
    BR Taxed at the Basic Rate of 20% Applies to individuals with more than one income stream.
    D0 Taxed at the Higher Rate of 40% When you have one income stream where at a normal tax code, together with a second salary, pushes you over into the Higher Rate tax band.
    D1 Income is taxed at the Additional Rate of 45% You earn over £150,000 per year and have a pension or other income source.
    L You receive the full Personal Allowance Your tax situation is standard.
    M You’ve received a transfer of 10% of your partner’s Personal Allowance Your partner has not used up their Personal Allowance entitlement.
    N You’ve transferred 10% of your Personal Allowance to your partner You have not used your full Personal Allowance amount.
    NT You’re not paying tax on this income
    0T You have been taxed on all your income This could be because your Personal Allowancehas been used up or if you’ve started a new job and don’t have a P45.
    S You pay the Scottish rate of income tax You live and work in Scotland.
    T Your tax code includes other calculations to work out your Personal Allowance Your tax position is “not settled”.

    How is your tax-free Personal Allowance calculated?

    HMRC starts with the basic tax-free allowance of £11,000 and adds or deducts anything that could affect this total. For example, a Personal Savings Allowance and tax deductible work expenses could increase this amount, while outstanding tax bills and a state pension could decrease it.

    Following this calculation, your tax code is given to your pension provider and employer to indicate how much tax should be deducted from your income.

    Common reasons why you might be on a different tax code

    Any situation where you receive more than one source of income could result in the allocation of the incorrect tax code. This could include:

    • State andprivate pension plans
    • Having more than one job at the same time
    • Short-term contracts

    A rise or fall in income could also result in a change of tax code. The most common reason for a change in tax code is when employees receive benefits from their employers.

    Make sure you’re on the right side of HMRC. Our team of experienced accountants are able to guide you so you can get down to business. Contact us on +44 (0) 808 141 1643 to get started.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • business plan
      Step-by-step guide to writing a business plan [template included]
      Aug 29, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • female-entrepreneur hot air balloon
      Why we need more women-owned businesses
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • crowdfunding lightbulb
      7 ways to finance your small business
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Businessman looking to the future
      How to get your business ready for the future
      Jun 19, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Guide to UK PAYE tax forms
      A guide to UK PAYE tax forms P45, P60 and P11D
      Jun 14, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Cut-taxes
      The 2019/20 tax year changes: What they mean for you
      Jun 10, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • confused
      Do you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return?
      May 29, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Tax refund money
      11 excellent ways to spend your UK tax refund
      Apr 09, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • London-business
      The UK still the best country for business in 2019
      Apr 04, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Contractor choosing door
      Contractor insurance: Choosing the right cover for your risks
      Mar 12, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.