close menu

How to claim a teacher tax rebate

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Sep 28, 2016
  • If you’re a teacher in the UK, you may be due a tax refund from HMRC. Amongst others things, you could claim for professional body membership fees, specialist clothing, equipment and the use of your car for work purposes.
    Teacher tax rebate

    Who is eligible?

    Anyone working as a teacher or in the education profession could be eligible.

    What can you claim for?

    If you are required to buy any items or pay for any services as a result of your employment, it’s likely that you will be able to reclaim the tax.

    Tax relief is provided for the following:

    • Cleaning costs of specialised clothing
    • Certain tools or equipment needed for your work and not paid for by your employer
    • Costs for using your own vehicle for work purposes, for instance, when transporting pupils

    Uniforms, specialist clothing and subscription fees to professional bodies are also claimable.

    Union subscription relief

    If you’ve paid any fees to the NUT, NASUWT, ATL, NAHT, NPH, Voice, EIS, ASCL, UCU or another approved body, you are entitled to tax relief. Fees paid to the General Teaching Council and the Institute for Learning can also be claimed. If you’re not sure any of the fees you’re paying qualifies get in touch with one of our tax refund experts and they’ll sort you out

    PE or sportswear

    If you teach Physical Education or sports lessons, you may claim a rebate for the cost of any sports clothing you buy.

    How do you claim a teacher tax rebate?

    It’s pretty simple. Just fill out our online Tax Refund Claim Form.

    When you get your Claim Pack, fill it out and return it to us along with your P60s and P45s. If you still need to get these documents, we can help you with that too.

    It’s worth noting that as many of the allowable tax deductions are generally of low value, with fuel costs being the biggest contributor to a decent rebate. If you have doubts about whether you could be due a rebate, give us a call.

    What will it cost?

    We work on a strict no refund, no fee policy. If you don’t get anything back, you don’t pay a cent. We charge a low 15% commission on successful claims. So you have nothing to lose and possibly hundreds of Pounds to gain.

    Don’t be one of the thousands who miss out on substantial tax refunds by not claiming their tax rebate. Speak to a qualified consultant on +44 (0) 80 8141 5503 or email us for a free assessment.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Confused businessman
      Hiring your first employee for your UK business? This is how much it costs
      Oct 31, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • business plan
      Step-by-step guide to writing a business plan [template included]
      Aug 29, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • female-entrepreneur hot air balloon
      Why we need more women-owned businesses
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • crowdfunding lightbulb
      7 ways to finance your small business
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Businessman looking to the future
      How to get your business ready for the future
      Jun 19, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Guide to UK PAYE tax forms
      A guide to UK PAYE tax forms P45, P60 and P11D
      Jun 14, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Cut-taxes
      The 2019/20 tax year changes: What they mean for you
      Jun 10, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • confused
      Do you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return?
      May 29, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Tax refund money
      11 excellent ways to spend your UK tax refund
      Apr 09, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • London-business
      The UK still the best country for business in 2019
      Apr 04, 2019  |  by Scott Brown

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.