close menu

How to get your UK biometric card

by 1st Contact | May 10, 2016
  • Anyone who wants to live in the UK for longer than six months will need to get a biometric resident permit (BRP). This document is essential, and yet many are unaware that they need one. Below I briefly explain what the BRP is and why you’ll need a biometric card before you go to the UK.
    UK biometric card

    Who needs a BRP card?

    Anyone who wants to move to the UK for a significant amount time is likely to need a BRP.

    You must apply for a BRP if you want to:

    • Apply to stay in the UK for more than six months
    • Apply to extend a visa or settle in the UK
    • Transfer a valid visa to a new passport
    • Apply for certain Home Office travel documents

    What a BRP entitles you to

    If your application is successful you will be issued with a decision letter. You will have to show this letter when you land in the UK, at either a designated post office or at your sponsor, to pick up your biometric card. This card is physical proof of your BRP, which itself is proof of your right to stay, work or study in the UK. You’ll need your biometric card when you arrive in the UK to prove your visa is valid.

    Your BRP also lets authorities know of any other restrictions placed on your right to stay in the UK. As a BRP holder you are not required to carry your biometric card on you at all times, but you must show it at border posts along with your passport when travelling outside of, and when returning to, the UK.

    How to apply for your biometric card

    All applicants travelling from overseas are required to attend a biometric appointment at a testing centre of your choice. Here immigration officials will need a copy of your finger prints, a photograph of yourself, along with your signature.

    Unfortunately the process is not as straight forward as it may seem. Our Australian office has heard of a number of cases of Aussies being turned away from local biometric testing centres because they have not provided the correct information. This causes delays and may even prove costly if you have left your application a tad late. There are, however, professional visa services that will make sure you go to the testing centre fully prepared so that you can get on with planning your UK adventure.

    1st Contact can book your biometric appointment and ensure you’re fully prepared for your test. Call us on +61 1 800 039 300 (Australia) or +27 21 657 2180 (South Africa). Alternatively, email me and we’ll get you sorted.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • visa application
      What’s the difference between a UK Marriage Visitor visa and a spouse visa?
      Nov 08, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Sydney skyline
      Invest in Australian property and earn permanent residency for you and your family
      Oct 18, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Australia-look-see.png
      Everything you should do on your look-and-see visit to Australia
      Aug 12, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Porto cityscape
      10 reasons to move to Porto, Portugal
      Jul 29, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Oxford-street
      Everything you ever wanted to know about applying for a UK Tier 2 (General) visa
      Jul 18, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Australia skyline
      Landed a temporary job Down Under? Get an Australian working holiday visa
      Jul 08, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • sydney-australia
      Australian visa processing times: How long you’ll wait for approval
      Jun 27, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • British passport and citizenship approved
      British citizenship and indefinite leave to remain: Why you need to know the difference
      Jun 25, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • seven-corners-image
      The importance of purchasing travel insurance with a Tier 4 UK student visa
      Jun 13, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • kangaroos
      Two new Aussie visa routes for skilled migrants
      May 23, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.