close menu

The importance of financial emigration to South Africans

by Niel Pretorius | Apr 21, 2016
  • So you’ve left South Africa to take up permanent residence abroad, and started your new life in your chosen country to live and work, such as the UK or Australia. In order to make the most of your assets you should consider financially emigrating. Let’s take a look at what this means for you and your assets.

    Why you should know about financial emigration

    Simply packing your bags and leaving South Africa may change your status as a resident, but it does not change your status for exchange control purposes. To do this you must apply to the South African Reserve Bank (SARB) to financially emigrate. Financial emigration does not affect your citizenship or passport, but is necessary if you want to move certain financial assets with you to your new home.

    Once you have officially financially emigrated, you may transfer the following assets abroad:
    1. Your retirement annuity, pension and provident funds (at any age)
    2. The assets declared in your application
    3. Any inheritance you may receive in SA
    4. Proceeds from a life policy
    5. Passive income received from sources such as annuities, rental, trusts and payments for services rendered in South Africa
    It is important to remember that financial emigration results in a deemed disposal of all your assets in South Africa. This means that you will be forced to pay Capital Gains Tax on your assets, with the exception of immovable property and personal assets.

    Emigrate now, financially emigrate later

    If you intend on moving to another country, you do not have to financially emigrate to start transferring your wealth abroad. You are still able to utilize your foreign allowances as follows:
    1. Up to R1 million per year discretionary allowance – no tax clearance certificate required
    2. Up to R10 million per year investment allowance – tax clearance certificate required
    3. To transfer more than R10 million you will need a tax clearance certificate and you must submit an application to the Financial Surveillance Department of the SARB for approval
    In most cases, we would recommend externalizing the assets you wish to take offshore by utilizing the various options stated above before you financially emigrate. Once you’ve relocated and settled abroad, you can start the process of formal emigration so that you can transfer the remainder of your assets. 

    The benefit of doing it in this order is that it allows you to externalize the bulk of your assets without having to go through the lengthy process of financial emigration. It is mostly retirement funds that are left behind that you would then be able to move offshore once you have financially emigrated process. 

    Before you financially emigrate, you will have to make a decision as to whether you will indeed be returning to South Africa or not. Reversing some of these decisions, while not impossible, will be quite time consuming and potentially expensive.

    Get help transferring your retirement savings abroad

    Financial emigration is a service offered by Sable International's wealth division. This service helps South Africans financially emigrate and transfer their retirement savings to their new home. Below is a breakdown on how we can help you cash out and transfer your retirement savings, no matter how old you are.


    To get started with transferring your retirement savings overseas, fill in the  financial emigration assessment questionnaire and we’ll start your free assessment. If you’d like to speak to a consultant directly, you can call us on +27 (0) 21 657 2133 or send us an email.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Typical-english-house
      Common mistakes that first-time homebuyers make
      Dec 06, 2018  |  by Ian Henning
    • Rand-pound-sterling
      Britain - a good time to invest? Make use of your 2018 investment allowance
      Nov 14, 2018  |  by Andrew Rissik
    • trust-handshake
      But, do you know your forex broker’s name?
      Oct 10, 2018  |  by Saskia Johnston
    • Man-on-a-rocket
      Are you a UK contractor? Maximise tax-efficiency by using your pension
      Sep 25, 2018  |  by Bill Monty
    • terraced-houses-in-london
      Are you a UK contractor? Here’s how to get your mortgage approved
      Sep 12, 2018  |  by Marlon Borez
    • property-feud
      The hidden dangers of not having a will in the UK
      Sep 07, 2018  |  by Sherron Alexander-Bedingfield
    • carrot-incentive-running-track
      UK pensions: Between a QROP and a hard place? Or is it a damp SIPP?
      Jun 21, 2018  |  by Niel Pretorius
    • piggy-bank-dollar
      What to do with your living annuity when you retire abroad
      Jun 11, 2018  |  by Niel Pretorius
    • house-london
      In the UK, mortgage inaction is pickpocketing thousands of homeowners
      Jun 07, 2018  |  by Bill Monty
    • risk-ahead-sign
      Increase your business’s bottom line with currency hedging
      Jun 06, 2018  |  by Calvin Matsaure

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    Castlewood House
    77/91 New Oxford Street
    WC1A 1DG +44 (0) 20 7759 7514


    5-7 Selsdon Road
    South Croydon
    CR2 6PU +44 (0) 20 7759 7581



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services License issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS License number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.