close menu

Paying into a UK pension? Don’t forget to claim your tax refund

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Jul 10, 2017
  • Whether you receive a state, company or personal pension through PAYE in the UK, there are a number of reasons why you may end up overpaying tax. However, many people who have a pension in the UK are unaware that they are due a tax refund. The good news is that there could be a cheque waiting for you at HMRC, and we can help you get it.
    Tax refunds for pensioners

    Could you have paid too much tax?

    Some of the most common reasons that people end up paying too much tax are the following:

    • Your pension provider has applied the incorrect tax code to you
    • Your pension provider has incorrect personal information for you
    • HMRC are unaware that your taxable state benefits or other income has reduced
    • You have more than one tax code as you have several pensions or employment income
    • You’ve taken cash or a lump sum that’s partly tax-free from your pension

    If any of the following apply to you, you could be due a tax refund.

    Claiming your tax refund

    The way in which you claim your tax refund will depend your type of pension. If you have a private pension, your pension provider may pay you back automatically if you pay too much tax.

    If your pension provider doesn’t pay you back automatically, HMRC will usually send you a P800 tax calculation by the end of September.

    If you have taken cash or a lump sum from your pension, you will either have to fill in form P53 (if you have a defined benefit scheme) or form P53Z (if you have a defined contribution scheme, and you have other taxable income). Our sister company, Sable International, has a wealth division that can assist you with any of your complex tax-related queries.

    If you have retired and only get the State pension, you will need to fill in form P50 on the website in order to apply for your tax refund.

    Unsure of whether you are due a tax refund? Our tax refunds team can help you with every aspect of claiming your refund. Get in touch with us on +44 (0) 20 7759 7560 or for expert advice and assistance.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • business plan
      Step-by-step guide to writing a business plan [template included]
      Aug 29, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • female-entrepreneur hot air balloon
      Why we need more women-owned businesses
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • crowdfunding lightbulb
      7 ways to finance your small business
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Businessman looking to the future
      How to get your business ready for the future
      Jun 19, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Guide to UK PAYE tax forms
      A guide to UK PAYE tax forms P45, P60 and P11D
      Jun 14, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Cut-taxes
      The 2019/20 tax year changes: What they mean for you
      Jun 10, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • confused
      Do you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return?
      May 29, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Tax refund money
      11 excellent ways to spend your UK tax refund
      Apr 09, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • London-business
      The UK still the best country for business in 2019
      Apr 04, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Contractor choosing door
      Contractor insurance: Choosing the right cover for your risks
      Mar 12, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.