close menu

Moving your business to the UK? You’ll need to understand the UK’s VAT regulations

by Scott Brown | Nov 12, 2018
  • If you’re thinking of establishing a business in the UK, it’s essential that you understand how the UK’s VAT system works. Having a knowledgeable accountant working with you will not only ensure that your VAT is managed correctly and efficiently, but that you comply with HMRC’s rules.

    How VAT works

    Value Added Tax or VAT is a tax that business owners need to pay to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) when selling/providing goods or services. You can only charge VAT on your goods if your business is registered for VAT.

    Generally, you will need to pay VAT regardless of whether your customer is a consumer or another business. What’s more, you’ll need to submit a VAT return to HMRC every three months. Your return contains information relating to the amount of VAT you’ve charged and the amount of VAT you’ve paid.

    See also: Why international entrepreneurs continue to choose the UK for business

    Knowing when to register for VAT

    Once your taxable turnover is more than £85,000 in a 12-month period, you must register for VAT. However, you also need to register if you expect to go over the threshold in a single 30-day period. Therefore, it’s important that you keep track of your revenue to see if sales are approaching the £85,000 registration point.

    What happens if you don’t register?

    Whether you fail to register through a genuine error, or simply choose not to do so, you may be liable for a penalty. The penalty fee is calculated as a percentage of the VAT you owe and increases the longer you refuse to pay it.

    Unsure of whether you need to register for VAT?

    Charging your customers the right VAT

    There are three different rates of VAT. The rate you charge depends on the type of goods and services your business supplies.

    Standard rate

    Generally, most goods and services will fall into the standard rate category. This is the rate you will charge unless the goods or services are classed as reduced or zero-rated. Currently, the standard rate VAT is 20%.

    Reduced rate

    If your products or services fall into this rate category, you’ll only charge 5% VAT. Examples of products that receive a reduced VAT rate charge are children’s car seats and domestic fuel and power.

    Zero rate

    As the name suggests, zero rate VAT is 0%. Most food, books, newspapers and children’s clothes will receive a 0% rate charge. However, there are some food items that are exempt from a zero-rated charge. These include alcoholic drinks, hot food and crisps, to mention just a few.

    Keeping your VAT records

    It’s important that you establish a good record-keeping system from the beginning. You need to keep a record of all your business transactions, as well as keep documents such as bank statements, sales and supplier invoices. HMRC may decide to audit your VAT Return and will require you to prove your sales and expenses.

    Need assistance with managing your VAT?

    Avoid the admin

    Many business owners opt to have an accountant manage all their VAT record-keeping and file their returns with HMRC. This way they relinquish themselves of all the admin and never have to worry about missing a deadline.

    Read more: How you can stop worrying and learn to love outsourced accounting

    Not sure if you should register for VAT? We can help you out. Send our SME accounting team an email and we’ll help you register VAT and assist with managing your VAT.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Confused businessman
      Hiring your first employee for your UK business? This is how much it costs
      Oct 31, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • business plan
      Step-by-step guide to writing a business plan [template included]
      Aug 29, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • female-entrepreneur hot air balloon
      Why we need more women-owned businesses
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • crowdfunding lightbulb
      7 ways to finance your small business
      Jul 16, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Businessman looking to the future
      How to get your business ready for the future
      Jun 19, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • Guide to UK PAYE tax forms
      A guide to UK PAYE tax forms P45, P60 and P11D
      Jun 14, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Cut-taxes
      The 2019/20 tax year changes: What they mean for you
      Jun 10, 2019  |  by Scott Brown
    • confused
      Do you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return?
      May 29, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • Tax refund money
      11 excellent ways to spend your UK tax refund
      Apr 09, 2019  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • London-business
      The UK still the best country for business in 2019
      Apr 04, 2019  |  by Scott Brown

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.