close menu

Don’t delay! Apply for your UK visa before the application fees increase

by John Dunn | Jan 19, 2018
  • The Home Office revises and increases the prices of most UK visas every year on 6 April. The UK immigration system is unpredictable, and the increase can be anything from £2 to £200, so it’s best to apply for your UK visa as soon as possible. Here’s what you’re going to pay before the 2018 increases come into effect.

    The prices, for now

    Application fees for UK visas vary massively. This is what you’re going to pay for your UK visa application before April 2018 if you are applying from outside of the UK:

    UK visa

    Application fee

    Ancestry visa


    Partner visa


    Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa


    Tier 1 (Investor visa)


    Tier 1 (Exceptional talent) visa


    Tier 2 (General) visa


    Tier 4 (General) student visa


    Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa


    Visitor visa (6 months)


    Visitor visa (2 years)


    The process of applying and reapplying for your UK visa is not only expensive, but time-consuming and stressful. If you want to guarantee your visa application has the best chance of success, get in touch with an experienced immigration expert who can assist you every step of the way.

    Want to apply for your UK visa?

    Why you need to get your UK visa application right the first time

    Unfortunately, thousands of visa applications fail every month. Worse still, the Home Office will keep your visa fee whether your application gets accepted or denied. To avoid throwing money away, or paying the same amount twice, it’s important that your application is as watertight as possible.

    The Immigration Health Surcharge

    If you are moving to the UK for more than six months, and you are a non-EU citizen, you will also need to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS). The IHS allows you to use the National Health Service (NHS) as soon as you arrive in the UK. Paying this surcharge gives you access to free basic medical care while you are in the UK.

    The amount you will have to pay will depend on which visa you are applying for. You will have to pay:

    • £150 per year for a student or Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa
    • £200 per year for all other visa applications

    Please note: If your application includes part of a year that is less than six months, you will pay half the yearly amount.

    The great thing about the IHS is that, unlike with your visa application fee, your IHS will automatically be paid back into your bank account if your application is refused. Do note, your IHS will not be refunded if your visa application is successful but you choose not to go to the UK.

    We offer a “no visa, no fee” guarantee, so if you don’t get your UK visa, we won’t charge you a cent. Get in touch with us on +44 (0) 20 7759 5330 or pop us an email on

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • pound-hand
      South Africans and Australians can expect to pay more for access to the UK’s National Health Service
      Oct 16, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • employee-hired
      UK employers are always liable for illegal foreign hires
      Sep 05, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • plumber-electrician
      Up your pay Down Under: Plumbers and electricians needed in Australia
      Aug 16, 2018  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • CV-Hired
      Just landed in the UK? We’ll help you conquer the UK job market
      Aug 14, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • student-working-on-laptop
      Are you an EU national going to go study in the UK? Here’s how to get your NI number
      Aug 08, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • australia-multicolour-skyline
      An Australian visa for South Africans over 45
      Jul 26, 2018  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • graduation-students
      Is there life after graduation in the UK? These are your UK visa options
      Jul 24, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • koalas
      A quick guide to the Australian partner visa
      Jul 16, 2018  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • london-eye
      Why having a partner on an Ancestry visa is the best
      Jul 16, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • businessman-riding-wave
      New UK visa for entrepreneurs doesn’t require you to have a degree
      Jul 03, 2018  |  by John Dunn

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    201 The Annex
    Ridgeside Office Park
    Umhlanga +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    Castlewood House
    77/91 New Oxford Street
    WC1A 1DG +44 (0) 20 7759 7514


    5-7 Selsdon Road
    South Croydon
    CR2 6PU +44 (0) 20 7759 7581



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services License issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS License number 335 126).

    This site uses cookies, read more or close this notice.