close menu

4 avoidable reasons people miss out on UK Ancestry visas

by John Dunn | Mar 02, 2015
  • In this article, we look at the four most common reasons why people don’t apply for their UK Ancestry visas – and how to get around them.
    UK immigration with flag

    An Ancestry visa: What is it and who can get it?

    Many South Africans, Aussies, Kiwis, Indians and Canadians have close ancestral ties to the United Kingdom. Yet many never take advantage of their ancestral rights, even though they’re sitting on the proverbial jackpot that is British citizenship.

    Simply put, UK Ancestry visas allow Commonwealth citizens with a grandparent born in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man to live and work in the UK for an initial five-year period.

    Whether you use the visa for a short-term working stint or a long-term project to gain indefinite leave to remain (ILR) and eventually UK citizenship, is your choice. Despite this, every year, thousands of eligible applicants stumble on unnecessary hiccups, most of which can be easily overcome.

    1. “I don’t have my grandparent’s original birth certificate.”

    This is the most common difficulty we come across, and the one with the simplest solution. If you don’t have your grandparent’s birth certificate or your parents’ marriage certificate, just give us a shout and we’ll source it for you. We’ll get hold of the original, unabridged document and make sure it gets posted directly to us, safely and securely.

    2. “I can’t raise the funds to sustain myself in the UK.”

    When applying for an Ancestry visa you must have around £1200 – £1600 in your account 90 days prior to your date of application.

    Now let’s be clear: You don’t have to raise these funds yourself.

    A lot of applicants secure these funds through a sponsor (something the UK government fully supports). You can always use a close confidant as your sponsor – a parent, colleague or friend will do. They will need to send the UK government a formal letter of sponsorship stating that you possess the requisite funds to sustain yourself during your first few months of living in the UK.

    3. “I don’t have a job offer in the UK”

    To apply for an Ancestry visa, you don’t need to show that you have a job in the UK – only that you’re in the process of looking for a job.

    We’ll provide you with a list of approved recruitment agencies if you decide to pursue your application through us. We’ll also handle any necessary communication with the British government.

    When you get to the UK, make sure that you are active on recruitment portals as soon as possible. The UK is primarily an agency-based job market and most job applicants submit their CVs through specialist recruitment agencies and not traditional HR departments. Make sure your CV is sent to the right recruitment agencies, if you’d like some help visit 1st Contact Job Assistance and we’ll get your UK CV sorted.

    4. “I can’t apply for an Ancestry visa because I want to study and not work in the UK.”

    You are able to apply for an Ancestry visa if you’re studying full-time as long as you are also working part-time (as many students do under ordinary circumstances).

    If you reach the stage where you can apply for ILR, all you need to do is prove that you have been employed during the qualifying five-year period. It’s not necessary to work full-time. Whether you’ve held a teaching or research assistant position at your place of study or worked behind a bar, all forms of part-time jobs are acceptable when applying for an Ancestry visa.

    If you think you’re eligible for an Ancestry visa, visit 1st Contact Visas to start the process. 

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • visa application
      What’s the difference between a UK Marriage Visitor visa and a spouse visa?
      Nov 08, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Sydney skyline
      Invest in Australian property and earn permanent residency for you and your family
      Oct 18, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Australia-look-see.png
      Everything you should do on your look-and-see visit to Australia
      Aug 12, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Porto cityscape
      10 reasons to move to Porto, Portugal
      Jul 29, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Oxford-street
      Everything you ever wanted to know about applying for a UK Tier 2 (General) visa
      Jul 18, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Australia skyline
      Landed a temporary job Down Under? Get an Australian working holiday visa
      Jul 08, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • sydney-australia
      Australian visa processing times: How long you’ll wait for approval
      Jun 27, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • British passport and citizenship approved
      British citizenship and indefinite leave to remain: Why you need to know the difference
      Jun 25, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • seven-corners-image
      The importance of purchasing travel insurance with a Tier 4 UK student visa
      Jun 13, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • kangaroos
      Two new Aussie visa routes for skilled migrants
      May 23, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8844

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.