Man confused about tax

This blog was first published in March 2014 and has been revamped and updated.

P45 explained

A P45 form is given to you by your employer when you stop working for them. This form shows how much tax you’ve paid on your salary during the tax year. It’s used to determine if you’ve overpaid tax and are due a refund.

A P45 has four parts (Part 1, Part 1A, Part 2 and Part 3). Here’s what to do with them:

Part 1

Your previous employer sends this to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).

Part 1A

You keep this for your own records.

Part 2

You give this to your new employer.*

Part 3

You give this to your new employer to complete.*

*If you’re unemployed, give Part 2 and 3 to Jobcentre Plus.

By law, your employer must give you a P45, so make sure you receive one.


Example P45 form

P60 explained

Your P60 form can be paper or electronic and shows the tax you’ve paid on your salary during the tax year (6 April to 5 April). Reasons for using this form include:

  • Claiming back overpaid tax
  • Applying for tax credits
  • Providing proof of income for loan and mortgage applications

If you’re working for your employer on 5 April, they must issue your P60 form by 31 May.

Example P60 form

Example P60 form

Difference between P45 and P60

The P60 is given to all employees to show their income and any deductions for the previous tax year. It’s used for tax queries, tax returns and tax claims and credits.

They key difference is that a P45 is for when you leave a job. It summarises the pay you received in the current tax year and includes details to give to your new employer or Jobcentre Plus.

P11D explained

Your employer needs to send a P11D to HMRC if you receive any “benefits in kind” (e.g. a company car or private healthcare). The P11D records how much each benefit is worth. You should either receive a copy of the form or a notice of what was recorded and reflected on the form.

Your employer must submit your P11D by no later than 6 July.
Example P11D form

Example P11D form

How to get your P45, P60 or P11D

How to get a P45

Your previous employer should automatically give this to you. If they don’t, contact them to request it. If they still don’t provide the form, ask for a “statement of earnings”. Contact HMRC if they still refuse to give you the form. If you lose your P45, unfortunately you can’t get another one. Your new employer must fill out a “starter checklist” to get your information.

How to get a P60

Your employer should automatically give this to you by April or May. You can’t request this form from HMRC, so if you lose it, you can ask for another copy from your employer – they keep all P60 records for three years.

How to get a P11D

You don’t always get a P11D form, but if you receive “benefits in kind” then your employer will give you a copy or record of what was included. If you lose it, ask your employer for a copy.

For assistance completing your tax return or refund, email We offer a no refund, no fee policy. If you're not due a refund, we won’t charge you any fees.  

We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you'll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.