close menu

British citizenship for EU nationals: Important changes to legislation

by John Dunn | Nov 16, 2015
  • From 12 November 2015, EU nationals must apply for permanent residency if they want to naturalise and become British citizens.

    What does this mean?

    EU nationals won’t automatically get permanent resident status after living in the UK for five consecutive years. You will need to hold permanent residency for at least one year before applying for British citizenship.

    This extra step will simplify the process of becoming a citizen in the following year.

    Non-EU family members or EEA family permit holders are able to apply for their residency card after three months in the UK. This is essential if the EEA family permit member wants to apply for permanent residency. It also helps you re-enter the country quickly and easily if you’re travelling, and shows employers that you’re allowed to work in the UK.

    Non-EU family members can apply for their permanent residency after five years in the UK, and then later apply for naturalisation.

    What is permanent residency

    Permanent residency – known as Indefinite Leave to Remain for non-EU nationals – gives holders the right to live in the UK permanently.

    Permanent residency allows you to work without restriction in the UK. You may also exit and re-enter the country multiple times, free of immigration control.

    Note that if you leave the UK for a continuous period of two years or more, the authorities can deem that you are no longer present and settled in the country. This may cause your permanent residency status to be revoked.

    British citizenship

    British citizenship allows you to move freely within the UK and enjoy all the benefits of settlement. This includes free medical care under the NHS, the right to work as well as access to all government job search services and unemployment allowances.

    Once you receive British citizenship, you will be able to apply for a UK passport and vote in parliamentary, local and European elections.

    Are you looking to apply for permanent residency, a residence card or naturalise? Visit our website or email us and let us help you navigate your way to British citizenship.

    We are a professional services company that specialises in cross-border financial and immigration advice and solutions.

    Our teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia can ensure that when you decide to move overseas, invest offshore or expand your business internationally, you’ll do so with the backing of experienced local experts.

    • Australia-look-see.png
      Everything you should do on your look-and-see visit to Australia
      Aug 12, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Porto cityscape
      10 reasons to move to Porto, Portugal
      Jul 29, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Oxford-street
      Everything you ever wanted to know about applying for a UK Tier 2 (General) visa
      Jul 18, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • Australia skyline
      Landed a temporary job Down Under? Get an Australian working holiday visa
      Jul 08, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • sydney-australia
      Australian visa processing times: How long you’ll wait for approval
      Jun 27, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • British passport and citizenship approved
      British citizenship and indefinite leave to remain: Why you need to know the difference
      Jun 25, 2019  |  by John Dunn
    • seven-corners-image
      The importance of purchasing travel insurance with a Tier 4 UK student visa
      Jun 13, 2019  |  by Guest writer
    • kangaroos
      Two new Aussie visa routes for skilled migrants
      May 23, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Passport-stamp
      25% of UK spouse visa applications are refused every year – make sure yours isn’t one
      Apr 02, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • Mother, daughter and grandmother
      Australia’s new five-year parent visa – another way to bring your parents Down Under
      Apr 01, 2019  |  by Sam Hopwood

    South Africa

    Cape Town

    Regent Square
    Doncaster Road
    Kenilworth 7708 +27 (0) 21 657 2120


    25 Richefond Circle
    Umhlanga 4320 +27 (0) 31 536 8843

    United Kingdom


    One Croydon
    12-16 Addiscombe Road
    Croydon CR0 0XT +44 (0) 20 7759 7514



    9 Yarra Street
    South Yarra
    VIC 3141 +613 (0) 8651 4500

    Sable International is a trading name of 1st Contact Money Limited (company number 07070528), registered in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK (FCA no. 517570), the Financial Services Conduct Authority in South Africa (1st Contact Money [PTY] Ltd - FSP no. 41900) and hold an Australian Financial Services Licence issued by ASIC to deal in foreign exchange (1st Contact Group - AFS Licence number 335 126).

    We use cookies to provide the best website experience for you. Using this website means that you agree to this. How we use cookies.